SPD: VERY loud verbal/auditory stimming - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-28-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What has been your experience with OT for this issue? Are there any treatments to help? My son will repeat words/phrases over and over and over again at the top of lungs!!!! After hearing the same thing YELLED the first 5 times, I have had enough, but after the 10th or 20th time,I really can't take it anymore!!!!  We have been working with the OT on core strength and handwriting and vestibular stuff because that effects our life outside the home more, like at school and on car trips. But this auditory stimming has got to get resolved soon for MY sanity. Any help or experience in this area you give would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 PM

My son does this off and on. He did it really bad about a year ago for about six months. Then he stopped  for the most part. Now that stim only comes out about once a month...he kind of cycles through stims and tics. So while I don't know how to make it go away, I understand how it gets on your nerves and I can say he worked through that one on his own, maybe your kiddo will, too. I'd ask the OT if she has any ideas.

I usually can get him to stop if I get on his level and talk to him, but I don't know that I could prevent it 

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#3 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 AM

My son is a verbal stimmer too.  I have found that when his other sensory needs are met, his verbal stimming is much quieter if he does it at all.  Having a good, solid sensory diet in place has been a life saver.  Your OT can help set up a "toolbox" for your son at home, at school, in the car, etc.  Basically, it's a box of objects that your son can use to self sooth whenever he needs it.  My son's toolbox contains stress balls, weighted vest and lap pillow, a few swatches of minky material to rub on his face, weighted bean bags, etc.  He has learned with a lot of patience and trial and error that if he's feeling out of sorts, he can just get up and get what he needs.  Hell, my son brushes himself when the teachers/aids/therapists are busy.  Eventually, they will see him in the sensory corner with the brush and take over for him but he knows what he needs and he finally feels safe giving it to himself.

I have a sensory diet I can email - just PM me your email address and I'd be happy to send it to you.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#4 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. My son has tics also, however, we had him strep tested and it came back positive and after the round of antibiotics they almost went away...amazing how the human body works. We have been focused on the other stuff so much, that I have not asked them much about the vocal stims. We go again on sat, so I will say something then.

#5 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 05:38 AM

Could you please send me the diet you are working with? We are having some of the same issues and I am beginning to feel very frustrated. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 AM

Brandan - you have mail :)

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#7 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 02:21 PM

My daughter does this at times. Usually when she's tired or has been over-stimulated. It can be very hard to listen to and ranges from repeating song lyrics to phrases from her favorite shows to just repeatedly making nonsensical noises as a form of stimming. Once she starts it's difficult for her to stop. We've found distraction helps a bit. So does having her chew on a favorite comfort item like a piece of chewelry or something. Last Sunday at the pool I actually asked her to suck her thumb to stop the random noises in teh change room because it was a confined space with very echo-y accoustics  from the tiles. Nearly drove me bonkers.

We're still working on the SPD stuff for my DD. We've had a year of therapies from a RASP listed provider but the OT there doesn't seem to be doing much for SPD-related stuff.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#8 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We used to deal with this a lot and it drove me crazy too.  Diet changes improved this 95% (mainly dairy and sunflower oil) for us.  We didn't have a ton of luck with OT but I know a lot of others do. 

#9 of 12 Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is one of the most noticeable (and annoying) aspects of dd's SPD. Listening therapy really improved it, but it is ramping up again and we are taking a serious look at removing gluten as we think it may help (based on the advice of a naturopath). For her it only happens when she is really overstimulated or tired, or has been in a loud environment. She is in day camp this week and by bedtime was repeating a tongue twister over and over, it was hard to get her to stop!

All these posts remind me we should look at the sensory diet again. So glad we are moving into our new house where we can set up her swing & trampoline again!

Good luck!

#10 of 12 Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 AM

http://sensorysmarts.com/sensory_diet_activities.html

Sensory Smarts website has some great info on Sensory Diets, a checklist, etc. These can help you get started.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#11 of 12 Old 08-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Just an idea... maybe an iPod or some other kind of music/headphones he can listen to?

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#12 of 12 Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRootsStarSoul View Post

Just an idea... maybe an iPod or some other kind of music/headphones he can listen to?

This is actually a good idea. Many times loud stimming is done to help block out lots of background noise, or fill a space with little noise. If that's what he's doing, some headphones could really help. However, if he's doing it so he can feel the reverberations in his own chest, I would vote for working to make new stims and providing an opportunity for getting it out. Is he capable of stopping? I ask that because my daughter was much older before I could say "You can say it ten times, but you must stop for an hour", and then give her a clock to keep an eye on the time. 

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page