EI evaluation is finally in... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I got my hands on a copy of J's evaluation report completed by the CDSA.  It was very thorough and professional and we agree with what it states.

They did the following evaluations:

Battelle Developmental Inventory, 2nd Edition

Childhood Autism Rating Scale (C.A.R.S.)

Preschool Language Scale IV

Clinical Observation of Functional Communication Skills

What did they find?

Well overall they saw pretty much the same things we see from day to day.  They obviously took our concerns and information into consideration and also expressed those in the report.

~Adaptive  (Self Care & Personal Responsibility) - Mild Developmental Delay
~Personal/Social  (Adult Interaction, Peer Interaction, Self Concept & Social Role) - Significant Developmental Delay
~Communication (Receptive & Expressive) -  Significant Developmental Delay
~Motor (Gross, Fine & Perceptual) - Average
~Cognitive (Attention, Memory, Reasoning, Academic Skills, Perception & Concepts) - Mild Developmental Delay

We completed this screening tool together based on the Psychologist's interpretation of the questions/choices.  The possible score range is anywhere from 15-60 with 15 being normal (non-autistic) and 60 being severely autistic.  The 'cutoff' score for autism is 30.  We came up with a 35 which falls right on the threshold of mild or moderately autistic.  His highest elevations were verbal communication, listening response, visual response, activity level & relating to people.

Auditory Comprehension - rated him at 1 year, 6 months (or 18 months)
Expressive Communication - rated him at 1 year, 9 months (or 21 months)
Total Language Score - rated him at 1 year, 7 months (or 19 months)

Speech Sound Production - Delayed (limited for forming words)
Oral Motor Skills - Within Normal Limits
Voice - Within Normal Limits
Fluency - Within Normal Limits  *I don't agree with this one
Pragmatics - Atypical (delayed social communication skills)

- They also noted below normal eye contact...

What would be your next steps?  We are starting speech therapy through the CDSA 2x per week for him and also plan to get an OT evaluation as well.  What do you think about further testing?
#2 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Just thought I should add that J will be 3 in 7 short weeks.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryduck View Post

So I got my hands on a copy of J's evaluation report completed by the CDSA.  It was very thorough and professional and we agree with what it states.

They did the following evaluations:

What did they find?

Well overall they saw pretty much the same things we see from day to day.  They obviously took our concerns and information into consideration and also expressed those in the report.

~Adaptive  (Self Care & Personal Responsibility) - Mild Developmental Delay
~Personal/Social  (Adult Interaction, Peer Interaction, Self Concept & Social Role) - Significant Developmental Delay
~Communication (Receptive & Expressive) -  Significant Developmental Delay
~Motor (Gross, Fine & Perceptual) - Average
~Cognitive (Attention, Memory, Reasoning, Academic Skills, Perception & Concepts) - Mild Developmental Delay

We completed this screening tool together based on the Psychologist's interpretation of the questions/choices.  The possible score range is anywhere from 15-60 with 15 being normal (non-autistic) and 60 being severely autistic.  The 'cutoff' score for autism is 30.  We came up with a 35 which falls right on the threshold of mild or moderately autistic.  His highest elevations were verbal communication, listening response, visual response, activity level & relating to people.

Auditory Comprehension - rated him at 1 year, 6 months (or 18 months)
Expressive Communication - rated him at 1 year, 9 months (or 21 months)
Total Language Score - rated him at 1 year, 7 months (or 19 months)

Speech Sound Production - Delayed (limited for forming words)
Oral Motor Skills - Within Normal Limits
Voice - Within Normal Limits
Fluency - Within Normal Limits  *I don't agree with this one
Pragmatics - Atypical (delayed social communication skills)

- They also noted below normal eye contact...

What would be your next steps?  We are starting speech therapy through the CDSA 2x per week for him and also plan to get an OT evaluation as well.  What do you think about further testing?

#3 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Why don't you agree with the fluency rating?  Do you hear stuttering when he speaks?  It sounds like a very thorough eval.  In most states the school takes over at 3 years, and EI helps with that transition.

#4 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 06:06 PM

How are you feeling about the results? It's a lot of information to take it. And it can be really hard to see these kind of results in print, even when they are not really a surprise. Hugs.

I'm not familiar with the term "CDSA". Is it like Early Intervention? Who performed the evaluations?

In my area, it is common to use a two-pronged approach: Early Intervention and medical testing. EI can identify areas of delay, provide therapy and services, and help with finding other loca resources. The medical team can rule out (or in) various medical reasons for the delays. In my son's case, tests were done to rule out seizure disorder, metabolic disorders, chromosome disorders, hearing problems, etc. DS also had a full eval by PhD level child psychologist (most EI agencies have Masters level psychologists). The CARS is a good tool, but the ADOS is often considered the "gold standard". It isn't perfect, but it can clearly identify most kids on the autism spectrum.

We were very happy using both EI and the medical team. The whole process to get the medical diagnosis took about 5 months, but when we eventually got an official diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder, we felt confident about its accuracy because of the all the testing involved. And in the meantime, DS got the services he needed through EI.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#5 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

The CDSA is the Child Developmental Service Agency aka. EI here in NC.  I really think they have most everything covered in the report.  The reason I don't agree with the fluency part is mostly because he has times where he will say a word several times (like slow stuttering) over.  Not sure they got to see this during the evaluation.

As for me, I am holding together as this picture becomes more clear to us.  Today was a very tough day around here for me.  :(

One thing I forgot to mention was that they diagnosed him with a 'Mixed Developmental Delay'.

We went (on Tuesday) and saw a neuropsychologist (PhD) and told him our concerns.  He wanted to get his hands on this report first so that he could see what they thought about it all.  This doc is the head of an Autism Spectrum Clinic.  We told him our concerns (of course there are few I forgot to mention - there are more than I can remember or write down) and he did see that there is quite a few of the signs of autism in place already...  I forwarded this report to him as soon as I got it and am anxious to hear back from him.

On another note, we went to our first speech therapy for him (based on this evaluation) and I was a little discouraged that she was trying to say 'he is talking. it sounded like he said...X'  I am like 'no, he said something entirely different.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page