UPDATED! Think 2-year-old may be on the Spectrum but too scared to find out :( - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post

I know it's been awhile since I've been here but I want to update for any newbie that comes across this thread.

My DS turned 3 yesterday and will be starting the CAPP preschool program (6 hrs a day, 5 days a week) on Monday!! He wasn't doing too well (meltdowns etc) at the Infants & Toddlers (EI) autism class that he was going to 3x a week (90 minute classes) so a month ago they took away his Tuesdays and Thursdays and was just going Wednesdays. Wed's they were in the big "OT" room and he did MUCH better. We also started at CSAAC (http://www.csaac.org/supportcsaac.htm), which is private therapy but EI footed the bill (yeay!). I cannot say enough about CSAAC... not to knock EI because they definitely helped a LOT, but he progressed more in the month he was with CSAAC than he did in the 6 months he was getting services with EI (3 of those he was in the EI autism class). He is responding so well to ABA, it is unreal!! I know ABA doesn't work for all kids (as in one of my good friends whose son with autism learns better in a natural environment) but it is working wonders for my boy. He is a whiz at puzzles, matching, his language has exploded in the last month... he's not talking conversationally yet but is repeating EVERYTHING and will now use "up!" if he wants to be picked up, although not every single time. He has started leading me to his diapers when he wants to be changed (although this doesn't happen all the time and is only when it's a poop). When we were leaving for an appt last week he walked over to my mom and gave her an UNPROMPTED hug (she was at my house to watch my 13 month old)!!!!! We still have a ways to go but I am VERY hopeful about his future!! He will be getting 4 hours of ABA in his preschool class a day. Only thing I'm nervous about is him getting on the bus by himself (well there is an aide but you kwim), he's so young you know?

What an awesome update!!! I just came across your thread and was reading through. So cool to see the progress. And happy birthday to your newly 3 year old!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

GL Eloise! I know easier said than done but try not to be too nervous... one of the best things someone said to me was on this board- "autism is not a death sentence." It really isn't. My asd kiddo is SO full of life, affectionate, happy etc. I'm so glad we got the dx because without it he wouldn't be getting all the services and help that are majorly increasing his skills and reducing his sensory needs!

Thanks so much Puzzlepeace!! :) He had an amazing birthday party... just last year he was crying hysterically when we sang happy birthday, wouldn't let anyone get near him, and seemed absolutely miserable. THIS year's birthday party (March 11th) was the polar opposite (and we had it at a bounce place omg!)- he was smiling from ear to ear, going up to people, enjoying his cupcake and pizza, WOW!!!!!!!!! What a difference!!!!!!! I don't know if the difference is from him getting older or the services he has gotten or a combo of both, but wow wow wow!!!!!! joy.gif

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

User Tag List