Childcare for children with medical needs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After being a stay at home mom for 5 ½ years I have to go back to work.  We financially can’t afford for me to stay home anymore.  So with a heavy heart I am actively looking for work.

Gabrielle starts kindergarten in August.  While there the nurse will do her catheter (catheter is done every 3-4 hours).  But what about the days she is off school and during the summer?  How do you guys that work full time handle situations like this?  She isn’t ready to do her own catheter.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't have first hand experience, but off the top of my head, can you look at hiring a nursing student as a caregiver? There are also agencies that supply nannies for special needs, however they usually have a pretty high start up fee. I think a nursing student, or unemployed nurse might be your best bet. Good luck. Change is never easy. 

Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had luck finding sitters willing to care for my special needs dss through sittercity.com and care.com. Some have been nurses but not all of them. We were willing to train the right person in order to avoid the pricey caregiver services. Sometimes it has taken us 2-3 tries to find the right person. We have employed part-time caregivers for the past 3 years. It hasn't always been ideal but we are making it work.  

User Tag List