Sensory Avoider Tips? Also autism question. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD (3 1/2) has been labeled with developmental delay (cause unknown at this time, so no diagnosis) and is receiving both private and school system OT/PT for gross and fine motor deficits as well as SPD. She is a sensory avoider and I'm struggling with how to help her.

Here is an example of a common interaction I'm trying to figure out how to handle:

DD: Can I watch cartoons? (Her favorite way to 'tune out'')

Me: No. Why don't you play with your toys while I take a shower? Can you bake some cookies in your kitchen for me?

DD: Aghh (Just like a 13 year old)

She storms off to her room where she snuggles with her loveys for the next 30 minutes. She would rather sit and suck on a pacifier and snort her lovey up her nose than DO anything.

We can clean her playroom and it will stay clean for up to 2 weeks.

Preschool has helped give her some play skills and she can play at times, but she is very dependent on me. I'm trying to push her to find her own way a bit--I do need to shower, make meals that kind of stuff, so I can't be the play leader every second of the day.

I'll offer to include her in the cooking, she'd rather go snuggle with her loveys or watch TV (which we limit). She's very inactive as a result and I have to actually schedule in physical activities to make sure she moves (swimming, dance class,trike riding etc...).

I am ordering some books etc... but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to tease her out of her shell. I still don't really understand her very well and am not very far on the learning curve.

Any one with a sensory avoider? Any good tips for me?

Also, should she be evaluated by a developmental ped? I would be surprised if she was autistic but all the books I'm reading are for autistic kids and her services seem to be on the spectrum so...???

Thanks for listening.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page