Do you ID your toddlers and how? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that if my 2 year old were to be able to open the door she would be gone in an instant and I would not likely ever find her unless she was turned into the police. She would not be playing in the yard or with the kids on the block. She's a walker. She would walk into the street and keep going and never stop. As a matter of fact it's a bit of a struggle at the car because if I let go of her hand (and she's getting bigger and bigger) she's gone... and I'm dropping everything and chasing her down the street. So I worry a lot about her. She doesn't know her name nor would she come to anyone including me unless you can catch her eye to show her something shiney.

I am also concerned about jewelry hurting her.

Do you put any sort of identification on  your toddler?

#2 of 6 Old 07-30-2011, 11:38 AM

For the home you could do an alarm system or a wireless that just makes noise when the connection is broken; we had an alarm that made a sound every time you opened the door even when it wasn't armed. Ds did set off the alarm a couple of times in the morning at that age.

For going out I had an Elmo harness that also had a wrist attachment, and it could be worn in a carseat.

You could label all her clothes and shoes with your contact info (I use labelyourstuff.com).

McGruff has a GPS bracelet if you think she'd keep it on.

There are also different types of medalert bracelets for children: here's one:

http://www.petitebaublesboutique.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=MedicalIDSportsBands

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 6 Old 07-30-2011, 11:45 AM

I've seen temporary tattoos with a spot to write in your phone number with a marker.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#4 of 6 Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM

We have a medicalert bracelet for DS#2. He also has a peanut allergy in addition to his autism/PDD-NOS. From ages 2-4, he wasn't able to communicate clearly enough to where we thought he could tell someone who he was or how to find us.

We use the nylon web bracelet that is soft, but can still be worn close enough to the skin that it doesn't catch on playground equipment. The metal chain bracelets make me nervous for an active kid. His does have his name and our phone number on it, in addition to the allergy/autism information.

He is completely articulate now, but we still use the bracelet if he's likely to be somewhere they aren't aware of his condition. My experience is that the MedicAlert bracelets help others to take his food allergy more seriously than they seem to, otherwise. The ID part is a bonus, now. It really was necessary when he was younger.

Me: 38 DH: 47
DS#1: 9/01 DS#2: 8/04 : DS#3: 7/06 DD#1: 8/09
#5 of 6 Old 08-05-2011, 03:05 PM

This is exactly what we did/do with my ds (who is almost 8 now). We have alarms on all our doors. When the door is opened, the alarm sounds. We get them for $1 each at the dollar store (which is cheaper than buying the batteries to replace them). They are stickied up (no screws or anything) so they don't damage the door or door frame. When ds was younger we used the Elmo harness every single time we were out of the house. It was a matter of safety, so we just had to ignore everyone's looks and comments. When he got older (4ish) we phased out the harness but started using these ID bracelets (on his ankles) when we were places that we thought he might get lost easily. Inside of these we wrote his name, our phone numbers and AUTISM in big letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post

For the home you could do an alarm system or a wireless that just makes noise when the connection is broken; we had an alarm that made a sound every time you opened the door even when it wasn't armed. Ds did set off the alarm a couple of times in the morning at that age.

For going out I had an Elmo harness that also had a wrist attachment, and it could be worn in a carseat.]

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#6 of 6 Old 08-05-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I did try a teddy bear harness and that was a bit of a disaster with the ugly looks and her flipping out (she tried to gnaw it off like a puppy lol).  But that's life!

What section do I get these door alarms at? Her bed right now is next to mine but you never know when you might fall asleep on the couch or something. I hadn't thought of vinyl bracelets/anklets... i will look those up too thanks :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page