The special kids go back to school! (2011 edition) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Updating a bit after the IPP meeting on Friday.  We had the OT, SLP and teachers on board.  We have a plan for handling the slower processing speed during tests that won't annoy my 11 year old DS.  The teacher is going to mark the percentages against what he has finished.  It's totally not obvious and he won't have to worry about doing even numbers, etc.  The OT is bringing him a copy of "Freaks, Geeks and Asperger's " to read.  I'm not that familiar, but I guess it was written by a boy not much older than DS about his own self.  My son is really glad to have a term for what he's experiencing and really trying to feel out his strengths and weaknesses right now, so I'm glad he has someone else to talk to.  The SLP is going to do some assessing as to how he's handling not literal language and help him with recognizing the core point as to what people mean.  I'm actually getting some cooperation from DS on this, which has me excited, as he's been pretty non-compliant in the past.  The best part is that at school and home we've noticed a big difference on the medication (Zoloft).  I struggled with this a bit, but he's able to get unstuck and stop obsessing, and it's been so much easier for everybody.  He's less anxious, hasn't picked his skin or had any tics for nearly two weeks, now.  He's only officially ever had one depressive episode in the past, but in retrospect I think he may have been mildly depressed recently, due to the post medication contrast.  He's been smiling and actually wanting to get out of bed in the morning, and finding things to do he enjoys without being prompted.  The teachers really noticed that he seems happier, too.  I'd never really noticed he wasn't happy, but I've realized recently that it had been a long time since I'd seen him enjoying anything.  Anyway, I'm very pleased we're finding some things that work in his case.  There's so much trial and error with parenting any child with special needs.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#62 of 67 Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 PM

My private OT is going to the school on Wednesday to assess the set up and meet with DD's teacher and aide. I'm trying to make use of what remains of her EI funding before it runs out in December. DD is doing alright in school and after care. She has a lot of anxiety about school but we expected that. It's mainly at the drop off and dealing with the idea that we'll be apart all day. It's the first time she's been away from a family member for such a long period (8am-5pm each day). She likes school and being busy. So overall it's going as well as can be expected.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#63 of 67 Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 PM

FarmerBeth~ Glad it sounds like the meeting went well.

Ended up working things out with the teacher,she sent me a follow up email detailing the homework modification we talked about on the phone. Which was nice. So no IEP meeting til the school has one probably not til the middle of the year. Just need to send a note saying we worked things out and don't need a IEP meeting at this time.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#64 of 67 Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 AM

Ladies I need some advice, my DS is starting to severely regress in the potty learning area, the last 4 or 5 days have wreaked havoc on both me and the daycare and preschool, he's refusing to use the potty for anyone and I'm wondering how I can solve this issue.

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

#65 of 67 Old 09-28-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmama26 View Post

Ladies I need some advice, my DS is starting to severely regress in the potty learning area, the last 4 or 5 days have wreaked havoc on both me and the daycare and preschool, he's refusing to use the potty for anyone and I'm wondering how I can solve this issue.

Regressions are pretty frustrating, but pretty common.  I would get together with the TA and work out the plan together (I used to be a special needs preschool TA, amongst a whole array of nursing, childcare and parent education jobs, I'm a sub TA in the local public school system right now).  When a child regresses, you usually have to go back to the beginnings of the skill (toilet training in this case) in a matter of fact way without seeming to judge about relapses.  So, that might mean wearing a pull-up to preschool, and on schedule (preferably on paper, with pictures), simply walking into the bathroom,  If that's OK, then you can try just sitting on the toilet with pants on, and so on.  It doesn't have to be just like this, but the idea is that you start over as far back as you need to and work your way up.  If rewards worked for previous potty efforts, then try them again (they don't work for every kid, so go by what works for yours).  The big thing is to work out a plan with daycare and preschool so that all of you have the same one, because kids with special needs don't always generalize rules.

Secondly, don't feel bad for feeling frustrated.  It didn't matter how much training I had, when my son had a regression (I didn't see it coming at all, he'd had very on-par development as a preschooler and then when primary started it was like all hell broke loose and the endearing quirks were suddenly "out there") with the bathroom in primary, I found myself thinking "evil" thoughts like "My other DS isn't even two and here he is all trained, and I have to deal with this crap from my oldest", etc, etc.  Even though I had a plan and knew what to do, I was so frustrated dealing with this with my own kid in my home space where I thought I could rest a little!  I'm not saying you feel like this, but if you ever do, try not to beat yourself up because it won't help your little guy for you to be down.  Be as calm and in the moment as you can with him, and then make sure you have a chance to talk to your husband or friend, or take some time for yourself, later.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#66 of 67 Old 09-30-2011, 04:37 PM

I am really happy to post, ds is having a good year so far.  It is such a change from last year.  Over the summer, he had an aed med change, which had less behavioral side effects.  The psychologist has contacted and talked with the classroom teacher.  The neurologist is sending updates to the psychologist.  The classroom teacher is awesome.  She has not had issues with his behavior, and he is feeling better about school.  He is close to meeting his IEP goal for reading.  Yesterday, he spent extra time with his teacher and a small group of students that arranged a 4th and 5th grade farmer's market for their school garden.  The market was a success, and this morning when he went to pick up some stuff he had stored in the principal's office, I over heard her complimenting him.  So nice to see him getting positive feed back in stead of in trouble. I hope everything stays on this path.  

#67 of 67 Old 08-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Sorry this is late but thank you sooo much for the reply, I appreciate that, we got it under control. It was due to severe changes in both our lives and he was stressed out about it. :)

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page