Any experiences with Synaptol - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just saw an ad for this.  It's homeopathic for ADD/ADHD.  We have been working to help recover our son from autism.  Still working with leftover behavior which reminds me off ADHD and I'm thinking of trying this out.  But I wanted to see if anyone has heard of or personally tried it.  It gets really good reviews:

http://www.synaptol.com/?gclid=CNW1sLuG9qoCFYwaQgoduA6ILw 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 AM

I don't have any experience, but I did check out your link.  I find the "miracle cure" aspect of the advertising troubling.  ADD/ADHD is very complex, and the symptoms overlap with other issues, which is why solid dx is important.  Anyway, that's just my take.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

What would be the drawback of trying it since it's entirely homeopathic?

I also found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Remedies-BrightSpark-125-Count-Bottle/dp/B000TMVMH4 

Old 08-31-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyintraining2 View Post

I also found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Remedies-BrightSpark-125-Count-Bottle/dp/B000TMVMH4 

I don't know what, if any draw back there would be since I'm not familiar with any of those products.

In general, I think there are drawbacks to self diagnosing and medicating a child-not specifically you, but as a matter of practice.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 AM

I find it a bit odd that 136 of 137 review on that first site seem to have given the product 5 stars headscratch.gif.

Anyhoo, before ds was diagnosed I tried a few things to help improve his behavior in school. One was a homeopathic product called Child Calm, which didn't seem to help at all. Another was magnesium & vit B6 which had a couple of small studies behind it where 50% of the autistic children studied demonstrated behavior improvement--this did work to take the edge of ds' hyperactivity. Some parents also find improvement with a fish oil supplement.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 08-31-2011, 08:07 AM

Well, the first ingredient is Aconitum Ferox, which is a species of monkshood and EXTREMELY toxic. Add that to the fact that the weakest (or strongest, depending on how you look at it) dilution is only 10X....no wonder it slows kids down. I also wonder how they proofed it, seeing as how in healthy people it would cause slowdown of respiratory function and death. Here's a link on it, if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aconitum_ferox  .It also contains oats and horseradish and silver nitrate, for whatever that's worth. 

I know it's Wiki, but it seems like information that's easily verifiable.

Also, "oligotherapeutic?" Oligo means "few," as in oligarchy, for example. We all know what therapeutic means. I don't understand what an "oligotherapeutic water base" means. It seems to me like a word they invented to sound scientific and fancy. 

Just my opinion to take or leave, but this site and this "medicine" seems pretty quacky to me, and possibly dangerous at the 10X level. If it were my kid, I wouldn't give it to him. YMMV.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:

I also found this one:

There are many deadly things in nature - homeopathic does NOT mean safe and if your child is on any other medications, you should check with your doctor to ensure that the ingredients won't conflict.  Someone suggested Hylands Teething Tablets for my son.  I bought them and then noticed "bella donna" was listed.  I called the pediatrician.  Turns out my so could have stopped breathing from the tablets because of another medication he was taking at the time.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFoxx View Post

There are many deadly things in nature - homeopathic does NOT mean safe and if your child is on any other medications, you should check with your doctor to ensure that the ingredients won't conflict.  Someone suggested Hylands Teething Tablets for my son.  I bought them and then noticed "bella donna" was listed.  I called the pediatrician.  Turns out my so could have stopped breathing from the tablets because of another medication he was taking at the time.

Technically speaking, a homeopathic medication shouldn't have any active ingredients in it -- as in there should be nothing in it that will chemically interact with your system, so you can't OD on it, and it can't harm you physically. The belladonna (or whatever) should be diluted out of chemical existence, leaving an energetic trace that interacts with your body energetically. And then it's all up to you whether you believe that or not. However, the term homeopathics is often used incorrectly to describe many alternative medicines that aren't actually homeopathic, they are just alternative to pharmaceuticals (herbals, etc). These medications CAN react chemically with your body, of course they can, but if they're all labelled homeopathic, how are you to know which is which? The Hylands tablets are supposed to be homeopathic, really homeopathic, but apparently they didn't do their dilution correctly and there was chemical evidence of belladonna. 

Old 08-31-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the link.  I am curious about the replies with suspicion toward these homeopathic remedies.

Is it suspicion in general for homeopathy or just these particular remedies?

DS is not on any medications.

I will look into the supplement recommendations.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:13 AM

I will be completely up-front with you, and say that I divide homeopathic remedies into two categories: maybe helpful and scammy/possibly dangerous. This is not from a position of ignorance; I've had some training in homeopathy and am on board with many alternative modalities. 

I would put your particular remedy into the scammy/maybe dangerous category because of the ingredients listed (see my above post), the fact that you can get it at 10X dilution, which is barely homeopathic, the overall look of the website, the fact that they've created words and given the names of all the ingredients in Latin without putting what they actually are in brackets. Like Avena Sativa? Sounds exotic, right? Oats. When manufacturers go in for this approach, I'm suspicious. It's like they're trying too hard to convince you.

Another thing? Homeopathists generally do not treat conditions. They treat symptoms. That's another red flag for me. A homeopathist might treat "lack of focus" but they are unlikely to treat ADHD.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate your being up-front.

I have to say that one thing that bothers me about both of these remedies (Synaptol and Bright Spark) is that you have to continue using them for long periods.

My understanding and experience with homeopathy is that it is fairly short-term.  But I've only had experience and done research on acute conditions.

DS's homeopathic doctor did treat behavioral problems with one or two high doses, or several doses over the course of a couple of weeks.

Most testimonials from the aforementioned remedies say that when they stopped the treatment, the symptoms returned, sometimes even worse than before.

So do you have any experiences with treating ADHD symptoms with homeopathy?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:36 AM

No, it's really not my area. I have some general "how it works" knowledge and some herbal knowledge, but I do not have the education or resources to recommend any specific remedies. Since you already see a homeopathist, I'd take him in to see him/her. 

And a total side note: I just read a book called Sleepless in America, that was very illuminating for me in regards to ADD and sleep deprivation. I'm sure your library would have it if you're interested. I'm with you in not wanting to throw meds at your little kid for ADHD, at least not without exploring other options.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aconitum     according to this  it loses its toxicity  

Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the link.  I am curious about the replies with suspicion toward these homeopathic remedies.

Is it suspicion in general for homeopathy or just these particular remedies?

DS is not on any medications.

I will look into the supplement recommendations.

I don't have suspicions about homeopathy in general. However, there are a lot of snake oil salesmen out there and there are absolutely no regulations controlling the creation of these products.  So... while a true homeopathic remedy should not have things in it that would be harmful - there are no guarantees.  When I wanted to give my son the remedy that contained bella donna, my pediatrician warned me not to because there is no way to tell if there are therapeutic levels in the tincture or enough to kill my son (while being safe for the average kid) due to a conflict with his medication at the time.  Why take a chance?

Our current pediatrician practices holistic medicine as well as allopathic medicine and uses remedies that have been tested to his satisfaction.  I trust what he gives us - never something just off a shelf. 

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have worked with trained homeopaths for over 10 years and I would never use a remedy at 10X.  These potencies are cell salt potencies and are used to address nutritional and biochemical deficiencies.  I would also not want to use a general, combination remedy to treat a "condition" but as others have already noted, you should treat symptoms, with a "three legged stool".  The remedy chosen to treat should have at least three aspects that match the symptom picture presented.  There are thousands of remedies to choose from and literally hundreds that could impact ADHD in a positive way.  I suggest you work with a trained homeopath.  It is not incredibly expensive.  The harm in using combination remedies is that you could suppress the symptom.  It can work, while you take it, and then the symptoms come back stronger then before.  That is suppression, and that is something to be avoided and is not healing in any way.  It is like taking an antibiotic for an ear infection and when you stop it comes back.  It's because maybe you have the infection due to an underlying milk allergy.  You have to hit upon the "right" remedy, the most accurate remedy for the picture in order to prevent suppression.

And can you hurt yourself with remedies.  It depends.  You can aggravate yourself for sure.  They are powerful medicines and they do work if used under the best guidance.  10X would have a small amount of the original substance left, for those who are worried about that.  Any potency above 30c however, does not.  I am going to search around for an article my homeopath sent to me and link it here later, about research being done by a French Nobel prize winner who, through his research, explains how imprints can be made on water from substances, even if the original substance has been so diluted it is no longer officially present.  It is powerful stuff, and it explains the "energy imprint" that homeopathy works with.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 PM

Hi, I am a 37 year experienced pediatric occupational therapist. I talked with a mom of one of my clients, whose son had ADD. She is absolutely amazed that he is doing so well with school and homework and is now so motivated. she told me today that he is now immediately responsive to his name being called, since taking Synaptol. She only ordered the one month supply bottle but told me she will be ordering the 3 month supply with her next order. She is amazed with the change in her son. Good luck with your son!   Mary

Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM

I am thinking of trying this too, since it says NO SIDE EFFECTS. Tried the other stuff that you mentioned, bright spark, i think you said. Bright Spark really helped my son BUT he started feeling the side effects with the really bad stomach cramps, had to stop it right away. So I am looking into this Synaptol now.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 PM

Reading all the above stuff is so scary. The thing is I don't want to have my son put on the strong stuff, the perscribed stuff the dr would give him because they too have side effects. I don't believe ANY medicine is safe. ALL medicines have some kind of drawbacks. Had my son on bright spark for a little bit and he did better in school. sat still, stayed focused and did his work. but then he started getting the bad stomach cramps so I stopped right away. Now I am looking into this synaptol. thinking he only needs 1/2 dose twice a day. Hes just under 50 lbs. Need something badly because we got his progress report and he has scored below grade level for his behavioral expectations. Ugh...so confused!!!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholer Mary View Post

Hi, I am a 37 year experienced pediatric occupational therapist. I talked with a mom of one of my clients, whose son had ADD. She is absolutely amazed that he is doing so well with school and homework and is now so motivated. she told me today that he is now immediately responsive to his name being called, since taking Synaptol. She only ordered the one month supply bottle but told me she will be ordering the 3 month supply with her next order. She is amazed with the change in her son. Good luck with your son!   Mary

I see you posted this back in 2012. I was wondering if you had any follow up information about Synaptol with that child you talked about. If it was still working, if they went off and they continued to do well etc.

It's been my experience with homeopathic remedies that they can work. I currently use Doterra's  "In Tune" which addresses each ADHD symptom individually, but combines the extracted oils for each symptom into one bottle. I see a difference in both my children. I'm also going through a cognitive program with them called the "Gift of learning" or the "Gift of dyslexia" by Ron Davis. I have one son who is often above grade level when it comes to academics, but he can't seem to sit still in class. And another son who exhibits the same un-restfulness but has a more difficult time actually learning he reverses letters and sounds a lot (mixing C's and S sounds etc.) Also if he gets mixed up on something he completely shuts down and I have to calm him down and start whatever process we are doing over with him. Because of personal reasons and not to mention in my state they don't test for Dyslexia until 3rd grade I had him unofficially tested. The test proved that he is a picture thinker, and that though he is young he is exhibiting strong signs of dyslexia. So I found "The Gift of Learning" by Ron Davis. We are in the middle of going through the steps. But with each step I see a difference in both my children. In reading the information I realized that my other son who was able to grasp and initiate his own methods and tricks to learn the things he needs to get through school has a lot of the same symptoms, he was just able to help him self a little more than my youngest. Just understanding how they process the information we give them makes an enormous difference. This program helps train their brain through a meditation of sorts. My youngest cannot hold still to save his life. But when we do the meditation exercises he can. So I'm thinking that like the books say the more we do it the longer he will be able to control his body. His "Dyslexia" (which is not just the reversal of letters it means a heck of a lot more than that so if your child is ADD or ADHD you should read on it.) makes it seam as though the pages are moving. I noticed when he would "read" he would avoid looking at the page or words he was supposed to be reading. This is because in his brain the words may seem to be moving or the words may look like wavy lines, until he centers him self. when that happens he is responsive and focused. Certain words or letters can be triggers and set this off, so one minute they are reading great and the next they are bundle of wiggles. This "Gift of learning" process is going very slow for us, as that I don't have funds to have a trained counselor do it. Which can be done but it is roughly $1,000 for a six year old. which I know sounds like so little in the long run. but it really is a lot for me right now. The price goes up with age as that the older they get the harder it is to retrain their brains. That being said the home process is doable and Ron Davis's book and website gives you the tools to do it. So I am slowly going through this with both of my children. The improvement has been small but noticeable, I'm hoping by next year they will be even more practiced and better with everything. That being said, I'm always looking for something that can help both of my children have a better school experience than I did myself. (turns out I would be considered ADD, which in doing research it is a very hereditary thing especially if anyone in your family has an alcohol dependency problem.) 

I didn't like that they called it a "cure" for Synaptol. There can't be a cure for this, because it is an imbalance of hormones of sorts. I was looking for foods that promote focus and came across Synaptol so I started checking it out. So I am really curious to know if it is useful, but what the aftermath is, if you take it and go off it, or are not consistent at taking it.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:52 PM

I would recommend "In Tune" by doterra. It's all natural oils  and I have had my kids on it for about 6 months now. and seen an improvement in their behavioral grades at school as well as focus at home. I rub it on their feet 1 to 2 times a day (morning and night). We are also going through "The Gift of Learning" by Ron Davis steps, we started this last month. the book was very insiteful about behavior. You can get it on Amazon, some library's may have it also.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholer Mary View Post

Hi, I am a 37 year experienced pediatric occupational therapist. I talked with a mom of one of my clients, whose son had ADD. She is absolutely amazed that he is doing so well with school and homework and is now so motivated. she told me today that he is now immediately responsive to his name being called, since taking Synaptol. She only ordered the one month supply bottle but told me she will be ordering the 3 month supply with her next order. She is amazed with the change in her son. Good luck with your son!   Ma

~~I see you posted this back in 2012. I was wondering if you had any follow up information about Synaptol with that child you talked about. If it was still working, if they went off and they continued to do well etc. It's been my experience with homeopathic remedies that they can work. I currently use Doterra's "In Tune" which addresses each ADHD symptom individually, but combines the extracted oils for each symptom into one bottle. I see a difference in both my children. I'm also going through a cognitive program with them called the "Gift of learning" or the "Gift of dyslexia" by Ron Davis. I have one son who is often above grade level when it comes to academics, but he can't seem to sit still in class. And another son who exhibits the same un-restfulness but has a more difficult time actually learning he reverses letters and sounds a lot (mixing C's and S sounds etc.) Also if he gets mixed up on something he completely shuts down and I have to calm him down and start whatever process we are doing over with him. Because of personal reasons and not to mention in my state they don't test for Dyslexia until 3rd grade I had him unofficially tested. The test proved that he is a picture thinker, and that though he is young he is exhibiting strong signs of dyslexia. So I found "The Gift of Learning" by Ron Davis. We are in the middle of going through the steps. But with each step I see a difference in both my children. In reading the information I realized that my other son who was able to grasp and initiate his own methods and tricks to learn the things he needs to get through school has a lot of the same symptoms, he was just able to help him self a little more than my youngest. Just understanding how they process the information we give them makes an enormous difference. This program helps train their brain through a meditation of sorts. My youngest cannot hold still to save his life. But when we do the meditation exercises he can. So I'm thinking that like the books say the more we do it the longer he will be able to control his body. His "Dyslexia" (which is not just the reversal of letters it means a heck of a lot more than that so if your child is ADD or ADHD you should read on it.) makes it seam as though the pages are moving. I noticed when he would "read" he would avoid looking at the page or words he was supposed to be reading. This is because in his brain the words may seem to be moving or the words may look like wavy lines, until he centers him self. when that happens he is responsive and focused. Certain words or letters can be triggers and set this off, so one minute they are reading great and the next they are bundle of wiggles. This "Gift of learning" process is going very slow for us, as that I don't have funds to have a trained counselor do it. Which can be done but it is roughly $1,000 for a six year old. which I know sounds like so little in the long run. but it really is a lot for me right now. The price goes up with age as that the older they get the harder it is to retrain their brains. That being said the home process is doable and Ron Davis's book and website gives you the tools to do it. So I am slowly going through this with both of my children. The improvement has been small but noticeable, I'm hoping by next year they will be even more practiced and better with everything. That being said, I'm always looking for something that can help both of my children have a better school experience than I did myself. (turns out I would be considered ADD, which in doing research it is a very hereditary thing especially if anyone in your family has an alcohol dependency problem.) I didn't like that they called it a "cure" for Synaptol. There can't be a cure for this, because it is an imbalance of hormones of sorts. I was looking for foods that promote focus and came across Synaptol so I started checking it out. So I am really curious to know if it is useful, but what the aftermath is, if you take it and go off it, or are not consistent at taking it.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2suprheros View Post

~~I see you posted this back in 2012. I was wondering if you had any follow up information about Synaptol with that child you talked about. If it was still working, if they went off and they continued to do well etc. It's been my experience with homeopathic remedies that they can work. I currently use Doterra's "In Tune" which addresses each ADHD symptom....

S/he only posted once, and its the only post s/he has ever made. S/he became a member at the same time as making this post....i guess s/he works for synaptol...pity. I would really like to  hear anecdotes from people who have used this....i looked into the oil you mentioned too. Thanks

Old 02-16-2014, 06:02 PM

I just purchased this. He is actually on Focus Factor for kids and it has helped him a little. His teacher has told me he is now finishing his work and is able to listen a bit more. BUT he still fidgets and spins on the floor when he is suppose to be listening to story time. So I decided to try out Synaptol. I hope it works. AND I hope it doesn't give him stomach craps like Bright Spark did.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Thanks for your input. I just bought 'Attend' by Vaxa, and gave him two tablets this morning. It takes a month to take effect, so i wont be able to update for awhile. (its  a homoepathic remedy)

Old 03-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Well the reply's  on here aren't helpful. No one seems 2 have used synaptol .I can say I C where A person made A comment that said "Homeopathic med.s treat the symptom not the problem. Now I am only A med Tech but for yr.s I have studied homeopathic ,herbs,vitamins ,oil's & more. Pharmaceutical med.s R the one's that treat the symptom not homeopathic.This is why I go the homeopathic route when I can .Someone really need's to check that one out.Guess I will keep digging.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM

My son has been on it for a while. I don't think its working. I am getting down towards the end of it now and I don't think I will re-ordering it again. He has also been on Focus Factor for kids. Which that one has helped some. Its helped him to be able to finish more of his work. Hoping to continue focus factor. Not Synaptol though.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Too early to say is vaxa attend is working DS has been on it a month, but it is supposed to take at least a month to see any effect.

User Tag List