weighted blanket question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to get a weighted blanket for ds.  I am wondering if anyone knows whether it would work to put one in a duvet cover. This way, I could get a generic pattern and change the cover depending on his interests.  My concern is that it would just all bunch on one side of the cover, rather than laying flat.  TIA

#2 of 9 Old 10-08-2011, 02:29 PM

I don't see why not? Most weighted blankets are smaller than "bed" size though so you may have to make your own duvet cover. :)

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#3 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 08:52 AM

It works. You could also sew velcro tabs into the  duvet cover on the corners or something to keep it in place. My kids hate patterns and loud colours... having covers for options works well. Ours is about the same size as some toddler bed or crib duvets that I find at the thrift store sometimes.

:
#4 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 03:12 PM

OTs recommend strongly against leaving a child under a weighted blanket for more than 1/2 an hour at a time. It's not intended as an all-night thing. If you want to use a weighted blanket, I recommend you consult with an OT or someone who has been trained in the use of them as s theraputic aid.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#5 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 03:21 PM

why is it not recommended for over 30 minutes? I think they say the same on weighted vests.

Here was how I was going to make one when I get the time to try it out. Get a pillow case and stitch rows from closed side to open so you have columns (long pockets). Then you buy this weighted pellets for making dolls at the fabric store. you scoop a little in each column and then stitch across them all then repeat.. fill some more in and then stitch side to side. Does that make sense? So you have a bunch of little squares. Then  you have a smaller "blanket" to test it out.

I know for christmas I'm buying her a body pillow. She reaaaly loves the pressure she gets. It will be out in the living room though not her bed.

#6 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post

OTs recommend strongly against leaving a child under a weighted blanket for more than 1/2 an hour at a time. It's not intended as an all-night thing. If you want to use a weighted blanket, I recommend you consult with an OT or someone who has been trained in the use of them as s theraputic aid.

Our OT actually suggested it for all night. It is little different than someone under very heavy blankets. We do only use a weighted vest briefly due to the strain on joints for the additional weight since it is more 'focused' weight for a vest vs blanket. But sleeping blankets have it distributed differently nor is some one doing weight bearing movements.

It has been a fabulous tool for us. DD also uses a lap pad as needed, if she is not 'moving' the OT said it is fine for as long as she is trying to focus.

Check with a therapist for your particular kiddo, the weight, and the type of blanket.

#7 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your comment, Beachcomber.   I've heard the same as KC Michigan, and our OT's have said it'd be fine.  Usually ds moves around enough at night anyway, so it'll fall off the bed in the night, and I'll just re-cover him with a regular blanket just in case.  I think he would benefit from it to help him fall asleep. 

During the day, he actually prefers a compression vest, but for nighttime, he likes weight. 

#8 of 9 Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 PM

:)

I was just being The Voice of Safety (tm). If you know what I mean. I'm investigating the idea of weighted lap pads for DD at school and home to help her concentrate during table work, meal times, etc. Thanks for not being annoyed with me! ;)

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#9 of 9 Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post

:)

I was just being The Voice of Safety (tm). If you know what I mean. I'm investigating the idea of weighted lap pads for DD at school and home to help her concentrate during table work, meal times, etc. Thanks for not being annoyed with me! ;)

Not at all annoyed.  :)  Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page