Afraid UPDATE: Hyperlexia - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At your well baby visit, request your pediatrician refer you for a sleep study and also to do a blood draw through a lab for his iron levels and iron store levels.   The sleep study will help determine what some of the issues are with sleeping and bed time.  I know what helped a bit for us was melatonin, then we found out we had rls/plm and a course of iron helped that.

#32 of 34 Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post

Canarymom, welcome to Mothering!  I apologize for nitpicking, but you mentioned ibuprofen as the active ingredient in Tylenol, and this is incorrect.  Acetaminophen is the active ingredient in Tylenol that has been linked with liver problems, immune problems and asthma.  Ibuprofen is the active ingredient in Motrin & Advil.  Ibuprofen can cause bleeding in the stomach, so it should be given with food, but otherwise I think it's safer than acetaminophen.  namaste.gif

Whoops, I stand corrected. I guess in the early morning hours and in my passionate stance on the subject I mixed up my ingredient names. Thanks for correcting as it is important.

I additionally want to say I have turned vocal on the subject of early intervention and education due to something a friend told me several months into my journey. At 10 months of age she suspected failure to thrive in my child. She is a nurse. I had no idea anything was up...I just didn't see it at the time. If she had told me...I'm the kind of person who listens. I might have researched and made some changes based on my findings. Changes that might have resulted in a better outcome for my child, developmentally speaking. I will hardly remain quite on the causes of my child's condition and, more importantly, I will share what I learn about opportunities to help him and others like him, as well as the families.

To the OP, failure and blame are things you cannot put upon yourself. We are so commonly misinformed by people/professionals who are also misinformed. Trust your instincts, do your own research, do as much early, noninvasive preliminary testing as you can afford and mentally handle and then find a path that works for your family.
#33 of 34 Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: My son has had speech therapy, occupational therapy, and special instruction with EI for the past couple months. It has been a tremendous help! His tantrums are almost non-existent now, and his speech is really improving. Sleep is still a struggle, but we're on the right path.

My big reason for updating- yesterday, the SLP unofficially diagnosed my son with hyperlexia. One of his obsessions is letters and numbers. He has been able to identify letters for almost a year, and I've seen him identify numbers up to twenty. But with his speech delay (over 40%), it's hard to tell what he really knows. I don't know if I still believe he's on the spectrum, but hyperlexia definitely fits, whether it's co-existing with something else or not. I was reading at 3 years old, and after doing some research, I also fit the description of hyperlexia. So, I feel like we are headed in the right direction.

His 3rd birthday is in 2 weeks, so our EI journey is almost over. We do have testing with the school system scheduled for next month to see if he qualifies for special needs preschool, and I will continue to update. Thank you all so much for your support through this. smile.gif

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#34 of 34 Old 01-18-2012, 10:18 PM

My son has hyperlexia along with autism.  We realized that he could read/spell soon after he turned 2, but he did not start talking until he was almost 3.  His private SLP and the EI team all recognized the hyperlexia.  He got his official medical diagnosis of autism a week after he turned 3, after a 5 month long diagnostic process.

Hyperlexia has been a wonderful tool in working with our son.  The written word remains DS's "native language" and for him, learning verbal language has been like an adult learning a difficult foreign language.  So we make full use of DS's obsession with the written word.  We have used written language to teach him everything from verbal language to sociall skills to potty training.  Our house is full of white boards, cue cards, social stories, homemade posters, etc.  I carry a small  notebook and stacks of index cards in my purse.   Sure, people gave me strange looks when I would start writing down directions for my 3 year old, but I didn't care because it worked.

DS is now 7.  He has been in special education services in the school district since a few weeks before he turned 3.  He was in special needs preschool for 2.5 years.  He has been in the autism classroom with partial mainstreaming since Kindergarten (he's now in 2nd). He is very bright academically, but continues to need a supportive and structured class environment. 

So I just wanted to tell you that hyperlexia is an amazing thing. It definately involves a unique learning style and if you learn to take advantage of that, you may find it to be a powerful teaching tool  that helps all of you.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page