School progress - Mothering Forums
Special Needs Parenting > School progress
fallenangel811's Avatar fallenangel811 06:24 PM 11-08-2011

My son is 6 and was diagnosed with Asperger's about a year ago. He is presently in Kindergarten, he has had an IEP since spring for PT and OT, no accommodations. So far in school he has just finished his second grading period. From his grades online, it looks like he's regressed in fine motor skills despite getting OT once a week. I don't have his IEP progress report just yet - I guess we'll get that at parent teacher conferences next week. Both his developmental ped. and his regular ped. have recommended typing work for him instead of writing.

Are we jumping the gun by being upset/concerned about his skills regressing while getting OT? Should we be asking for more OT? Should we ask about a different therapist? A reevaluation? Wait and see?

Naively we thought once he had an IEP things would go smooth with getting skills and services...

Linda on the move's Avatar Linda on the move 09:08 PM 11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangel811 View Post

From his grades online, it looks like he's regressed in fine motor skills despite getting OT once a week. I don't have his IEP progress report just yet - I guess we'll get that at parent teacher conferences next week. Both his developmental ped. and his regular ped. have recommended typing work for him instead of writing.

Are we jumping the gun by being upset/concerned about his skills regressing while getting OT?

How can you tell from his grades that his skills are regressing?

Grades are based on how a child performs based on norms for their term at school, so a child who is on a different trajectory can have grades that are all over the place. For example, a child gets a B in one grading period, improves in the subject, but gets a C in the next grading period *because they didn't improve at the same rate that most kids their age do*.  They did improve, everything is working just fine, but this skill is delayed. The extra help may not actually make them like the other kids, but none the less is *working* for the child.

I'm not a fan of grades at all, but I think they are uber meaningless for kids with special needs and don't tell anything about how well their educational plan is meeting their developmental needs.

My DD has Aspergers and fine motor issues and has accommodation for writing in school. Personally, I think that while typing is fine and that ALL kids who needs accommodations to be successful should get them, I think it is important to continue to work on handwriting skills. Being able to pick up a pen and write something is part of basic literacy and is a skill that our kids will need both through out their education and as adults. I wouldn't recommend any one completely drop it with a small child. And the thing about typing that people tend to forget, is that it takes fine motor skills too. It's not the magic cure all that some people think it is.

My DD is 15 and can type her papers for school. She needs to be able to write neatly for math class. She is doing multi step problems and getting them organized on the paper is the hard part for her. She needs to be able to fill in forms occasionally.

Emmeline II's Avatar Emmeline II 07:32 AM 11-09-2011

Are these letter grades or meets/doesn't meet expectations "grades"? 

These grades reflect only the last grading period, they don't mean he has lost any skills. I don't think you have enough information to conclude that what is in place isn't working.

I wouldn't assume that you will get the progress report at the conference, I'd ask the person issuing the report.

Up