SSI question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tell me about this.  Specifically, if you have a child who has a health issue but not a lifelong typical disability, such as Down's or CP, and you qualified or did not qualify.

My son has well, we'll say he has unidentified medical issues that have resulted in the need for a feeding tube (g-j) as well as having imperforate anus and a colostomy.  I've been encouraged to apply for this for him.

Also if you use a respite care program, tell me about that.  thanks

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 4 Old 11-29-2011, 02:24 PM

It probably won't hurt you to apply.  Possibly time consuming but could be worth it financially.  The standards are slightly different although I don't remember the details, for children as opposed to adults.  What area are you in with regard to respite care?

mother of 2, wife, daughter, lawyer, toddler wearing, extended breastfeeding, ec-ing, water birthing....

#3 of 4 Old 11-29-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Area as in geography or level of needs?  Geographically, South Dakota.  Level-wise, I'd want a local nursing student, someone who is comfortable with his feeding pump.  other than the tube he's pretty typical.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#4 of 4 Old 11-29-2011, 03:25 PM

I would apply, the worst they could say is no. We have respite through a state program. Ours comes through Dept of Develpmental disabilities. We qualify for so many hours a year to use how we see fit. We have a worker that comes into our home.

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page