Dd8 having trouble with noise level in classroom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 8 yo dd is currently diagnosed with dyspraxia and may be dyslexic (on waitlist for an eval). She has been complaining about the noise in her classroom since the beginning of school. She has always been sensitive to noise in previous grades, but this year the class seems to be exceptionally boisterous with the boys outnumbering the girls. I'm assuming she has very acute hearing, i.e. if I barely raise my voice to her (stern talking) she thinks I'm yelling at her. Another classroom problem is that she has a hard time distinguishing and blocking out unimportant noise from important noise. I.e. Teacher talking/giving lesson v.s. a child tapping their pencil behind her. ADHD has been ruled out and I feel her trouble is not related to attention issues but rather noise sensitivity. 

She is at the point now where she cries when it's time to go to school, she has been having tummy troubles (has even gone to the nurse's office for this at school), begs to stay home, and comes home with headaches every day. She is also unhappy b/c her teacher uses 'group punishments' when even it is just a few kids that are out of line.  So if the class can't settle down to go to recess/PE/art/lunch/etc... the whole class loses time for these activities instead of the child/ren who are causing the problems. There appears to be no system in place for individual punishment (for instance a color system) in the school (this is our first year at this school). 

We have our first conference on Monday and I want to address these issues with the teacher but at the same time I don't want it to come out that I am blaming her. She is a wonderful teacher and if anything her only fault is she may be too nice. My goal is to tackle the problem as it pertains to my dd and try to come up with solutions as to how we can make school more enjoyable for her. 

Does anybody have any suggestions that I can take to the conference as to how we can handle the noise issue? So far I've thought of having dd's desk away from others and/or moving her desk to the front, allowing her time to work alone in the hallway, or a chance to go the library for a 'noise break'. Luckily the conferences are student-lead so it will help to have dd there to have input as to what she is and isn't comfortable with trying. But I hope the more options I come prepared with the better chance we have of finding a solution. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Look into Sensory Integration Disorder.

User Tag List