A gift for my niece! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all, I hope you don't mind me dropping in here, I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a Christmas gift for my 5 y/o niece who has severe developmental issues due to birth injury. She doesn't have CP, but shares a lot of characteristics with kids who have severe CP. She is unable to walk and is mostly nonverbal. She has some gross motor skills and some fine, but not much.The toys she has now are ones that help her with fine motor stuff, and I'd like to get her something along those lines. I had originally picked out the Mozart Cube for her, but MIL says she already has one, so now I'm back to the drawing board.

I was hoping some of you moms with kids who have similar issues might have some suggestions. What do your kiddos like playing with?

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#2 of 2 Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you google "special needs equipment" or "special needs toys" a few catalog sites should come up. I have browsed them many a time trying to find new ideas for my daughter. A lot of those sites let you search by function, e.g., fine motor skills or visual stimulation or whatever. 

Mama to my talkaholic DS (Oct 2003) and my climbaholic DD (May 2007).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page