Mothering Forum banner

New LA Times Article: "Autism hidden in plain sight"

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  wishin'&hopin' 
#1 ·
This is a really neat article that, I hope for some, will help debunk some of the "autism epidemic" talk.

Quote:
Over the last two decades, estimates of the autism rate in U.S. children have climbed twentyfold. Many scientists believe the increase has been driven largely by an expanded definition of the disorder and more vigorous efforts to identify it.

Scientists are just beginning to find cases that were overlooked or called something else in an earlier era. If their research shows that autism has always been present at roughly the same rate as today, it could ease worries that an epidemic is on the loose.

By looking into the past, scientists also hope to deepen their understanding of how autism unfolds over a lifetime.

What happened to all the people who never got diagnosed? Where are they?

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinYay View Post

This is a really neat article that, I hope for some, will help debunk some of the "autism epidemic" talk.

I really agree with the quote, Erin. I work in the schools, and I really don't think I see more cases of more "typical" autism than what was around when I was a kid. I look at my own son, in the Asperger's end of the spectrum, and DH and I have family members on both sides that could easily be seen as having the same difficulties.

Can you find me a link to the article. I'd love to read it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.