Stimming in a 3 month old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I guess I could be a little nervous since my first DS may be diagnosed with Aspergers.

But I was looking up facial tics on youtube to see if any resembled my first DS and I came across this baby who has been diagnosed with ASD. The baby was making "jumpy" moves exactly like my 3 month old does. It's kind of like his legs and arms are jerking. Sometimes its so strong that he almost jumps off my lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVrMJq7tdwk

My first never did this and come to think of it, I've never seen another baby do this. We laugh at it, because we think he's excited about something. With all I'm going through right now, the possibility of DS2 being NTD was the last thing on my mind.

I realize this is a forum and no one can actually *see* my DS. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this in a typical or non typical baby...

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#2 of 3 Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some babies have a really strong startle reflex at this age, and it does look like jumpy arm and leg moving.  Also, some babies just kick and wave for exercise.  These things happen independently of any sort of disorder and the variance is normal.  It can take up to six months for some of these reflex movements to go.  Your baby will need to be older before you can tell if there is anything to worry about regarding tic like movements. This is standard info I gave new parents when I was a family support worker and working with the NCAST model.  I highly recommend NCAST or any other infant communication program to any parent if you can access it. Many maternity hospitals and some public health and family visit programs run the program, which originated in the US.  It's really helpful for understanding babies, reading infant cues and coming up with good family routines.  You might even be able to translate some of your info to helping your ASD son with nonverbal cues when he's older.

It's pretty early to worry, but it's no wonder, you've had a lot on your plate, and I know from your other posts that your baby is dealing with digestive woes, too.  Try to take a little time for yourself as well as partner only, one kid only time, too.  It is really hard to parent young children, it's even harder when your kids have special needs.  I wish you peace and time for one hot drink uninterrupted!

Bethany

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#3 of 3 Old 12-24-2011, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Beth - thank you for helping me feel better. So I'm not going to think about it again until he is at least 6 months!

I've never heard of NCAST but it sounds interesting. Just looked them up online. Thanks for the suggestion... I have some downtime since I have to pump so now on to some reading!

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page