Any PARENTS with Asperger's Syndrome? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I know we all have SN kids (mine are AS, borderline AS, and NT), but are there any of us with SN ourselves? I have Asperger's Syndrome. A few other diagnoses, as well.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I also blog about it, if anyone is interested.

http://parentingwithaspergers.blogspot.com/

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:24 PM

Thanks for posting your blog. It is very insightful. I'm just learning about AS with my son who has traits and realizing my husband has many too. I am also prone to sensory overload but thought I was just a wall flower. It's nice to know we aren't nuts just different. :)

Old 01-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I only have an informal diagnosis of PDD-NOS.  It would be Aspergers, but I did have early speech and language delays, and maybe cognitive delays.  It does add an extra dimension to parenting. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
Old 01-23-2012, 07:21 PM

lurking. my DH has AS. lurk.gif i take meds for ADHD. 

PS, carrie thanks for your blog link. i read it and it sounds *just like my DH.* it's so good for him to read about people who he is like. he spends a lot of time blaming others for his freak outs. and it's oh so helpful for him when something can slow him down and bring it home. 

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 01-23-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you guys like my blog!

I'm so glad to connect with other parents with similar issues. I've been on the verge of meltdown for the last hour or so because of a job I took on, thinking I could handle it, but the sensory input of this particular work is overwhelming for me. I had to email my boss about it. That's touchy because he & his wife have been friends for YEARS and I don't want to disappoint them. You know? 

Argh! I guess it'll all work itself out...

Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 AM

I have two little girls, 25-months and 4-months, and I also have AS.

I *also* blog a bit about it here.

You might already be familiar with it, but Wrong Planet is probably the biggest aspie board there is. There's a parenting section for parents of ASD kids and for parents with ASDs.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:30 PM

AS Mamas, I'm curious if you have noticed any personal sensitivity to food. Dairy in particular. I've read lots of articles that link dairy to increased anxiety. I want to try going dairy free with my possibly AS son but also worry because he is super skinny. Any thoughts?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:17 PM

I officially have NVLD.  My 11yo was diagnosed with AS this year.  I'd been a long time to worry about any social issues he was having (mostly plain old lack of interest) because I had been the same way as a kid.  I was a long time to worry about my younger son (diagnoses of expressive language disorder) speaking late because I had speech delays, too.  My sons share a psychologist and she's informally told me she thinks the NVLD in my family is really high functioning autism. I don't find there's much difference between NVLD and Aspergers,anyway. I haven't really cared to find out more because I already got help with most of the things I've had problems with, like obsessiveness and sensory issues.  When my oldest was in CBT for anxiety the parents followed along the program with their own group and I realized I could desensitize myself to a lot of the sensory stuff following the same formula, and it worked.  My DH has really extreme adult ADHD and we somehow have a totally NT daughter in the middle between the boys. 

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 PM

Never mind. I'm super exhausted and can't write well.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinYay View Post

I have two little girls, 25-months and 4-months, and I also have AS.

I *also* blog a bit about it here.

You might already be familiar with it, but Wrong Planet is probably the biggest aspie board there is. There's a parenting section for parents of ASD kids and for parents with ASDs.

I am familiar w/ WrongPlanet. I lost my login info, though. *facepalm* 

I'll check your blog, Erin. Thanks for sharing!

I posted a new article tonight, cowritten by my friend Mateo. :)

http://parentingwithaspergers.blogspot.com/2012/01/heterism-autism-and-neurodiversity.html

Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ11 View Post

AS Mamas, I'm curious if you have noticed any personal sensitivity to food. Dairy in particular. I've read lots of articles that link dairy to increased anxiety. I want to try going dairy free with my possibly AS son but also worry because he is super skinny. Any thoughts?

I have not noticed any conneciton for myself or my kids, but I know other families have. It can't hurt to try, right??

Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBeth View Post

I officially have NVLD.  My 11yo was diagnosed with AS this year.  I'd been a long time to worry about any social issues he was having (mostly plain old lack of interest) because I had been the same way as a kid.  I was a long time to worry about my younger son (diagnoses of expressive language disorder) speaking late because I had speech delays, too.  My sons share a psychologist and she's informally told me she thinks the NVLD in my family is really high functioning autism. I don't find there's much difference between NVLD and Aspergers,anyway. I haven't really cared to find out more because I already got help with most of the things I've had problems with, like obsessiveness and sensory issues.  When my oldest was in CBT for anxiety the parents followed along the program with their own group and I realized I could desensitize myself to a lot of the sensory stuff following the same formula, and it worked.  My DH has really extreme adult ADHD and we somehow have a totally NT daughter in the middle between the boys. 

Wow, Beth, you have a lot in your family, too. That's cool. How do your kids do in school? Or are they home schooled? I guess my question is more: How do they manage socially? My 11 yr old had issues in 6th grade public school (got beat up and I saw RED!!!), so I am homeschooling him this year.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:22 AM

yeah, my family feels like ND-r-us a lot of the time. biglaugh.gif

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperRose View Post

Wow, Beth, you have a lot in your family, too. That's cool. How do your kids do in school? Or are they home schooled? I guess my question is more: How do they manage socially? My 11 yr old had issues in 6th grade public school (got beat up and I saw RED!!!), so I am homeschooling him this year.

We started homeschooling, but I was having a hard time helping DS1 with the social aspects, so we ended up going to public school.  Our kids are in a very small, very rural school and I find that seems to be helping the social aspect a lot.  We're also in an area that tends to be pretty laid back about learning differences.  I don't think DS would be able to manage in an urban school.When he went to a slightly larger, suburban school he was a nightmare of tics and stims.  He has his first real friend this year, and his friend is pretty quirky, too.  They're tolerant of each other's parallel discussions and need for alone time.  He's a strong student now, making mostly B's and really shining in sciences and math, but in grade one he was in the 1% for achievement.  There's been a huge leap in the last 5 years in his ability to comply to someone else's agenda when necessary.

The youngest doesn't have nearly as much social difficulty, which is why for now he's being treated in terms of a language disorder.  He has a lot more trouble with abstract ideas and language than my other two kids.  He still has good marks despite no IPP (he does have adaptations for CAPD) but he has to work so hard for it.  He started primary operating at the same level as a 2 and a half year old for expressive language.  He's finally pretty much caught up except for very weird grammar, but it's as if all language is foreign to him, and school is so many words.  But he's pretty happy and loves sports, and always has someone to play soccer with.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post

yeah, my family feels like ND-r-us a lot of the time. biglaugh.gif

lol.gif Hey, I say LIVE IT UP, BABY!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:

lol.gif Hey, I say LIVE IT UP, BABY!

we do, but the noise freaks out my DH!! jumpers.gif

Old 01-25-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

We started homeschooling, but I was having a hard time helping DS1 with the social aspects, so we ended up going to public school.  Our kids are in a very small, very rural school and I find that seems to be helping the social aspect a lot.  We're also in an area that tends to be pretty laid back about learning differences.  I don't think DS would be able to manage in an urban school.When he went to a slightly larger, suburban school he was a nightmare of tics and stims.  He has his first real friend this year, and his friend is pretty quirky, too.  They're tolerant of each other's parallel discussions and need for alone time.  He's a strong student now, making mostly B's and really shining in sciences and math, but in grade one he was in the 1% for achievement.  There's been a huge leap in the last 5 years in his ability to comply to someone else's agenda when necessary.

The youngest doesn't have nearly as much social difficulty, which is why for now he's being treated in terms of a language disorder.  He has a lot more trouble with abstract ideas and language than my other two kids.  He still has good marks despite no IPP (he does have adaptations for CAPD) but he has to work so hard for it.  He started primary operating at the same level as a 2 and a half year old for expressive language.  He's finally pretty much caught up except for very weird grammar, but it's as if all language is foreign to him, and school is so many words.  But he's pretty happy and loves sports, and always has someone to play soccer with.

Our school is definitely more urban, I guess. I like your use of that word. Our previous school in this same city and same district was not anything like this one. It was a good school and I felt like the kids mattered. The staff knew the kids & their parents by name, despite having nearly 1000 students. The teachers were wonderfully helpful and supportive of whatever your kid needed, etc. It was good. I'm looking forward to moving next month because we'll be back in the same area and he'll be going to the new middle school there, but with the same kids he knew in elementary school. 

Max has done very well socially, as long as he has that one friend who clicks with him. You know?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post

we do, but the noise freaks out my DH!! jumpers.gif

Do you ever feel like this: joy.gifblahblah.gifwild.gifenergy.gifhammer.gif

Old 01-25-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:

http://parentingwithaspergers.blogspot.com/2012/01/heterism-autism-and-neurodiversity.html

LMAO!! i *love* that you used a pic of ernie and burt. my DH and i joke all the time that i am ernie and he is burt. totally. that was great. 

Old 01-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Do you ever feel like this: joy.gifblahblah.gifwild.gifenergy.gifhammer.gif

all the freaking time!!! sometimes all at once!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Our school is definitely more urban, I guess. I like your use of that word. Our previous school in this same city and same district was not anything like this one. It was a good school and I felt like the kids mattered. The staff knew the kids & their parents by name, despite having nearly 1000 students. The teachers were wonderfully helpful and supportive of whatever your kid needed, etc. It was good. I'm looking forward to moving next month because we'll be back in the same area and he'll be going to the new middle school there, but with the same kids he knew in elementary school. 

Max has done very well socially, as long as he has that one friend who clicks with him. You know?

I think that's the key for everyone, just maybe more so with ASD.  I actually work in the school system (no one when I was a kid would have guessed I would work with people) with special needs kids.  There really is someone for just about anyone, it's just hard to find the someone at times. 

Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

umamai - I have a picture of me flapping, my hands are all a blur. LOL!

Beth - I absolutely agree. Finding that someone is key. :)

Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:

I am familiar w/ WrongPlanet. I lost my login info, though. *facepalm* 

I'll check your blog, Erin. Thanks for sharing!

Liked the article!  I always find the NT label confusing.  My "NT" daughter is also gifted, so can she be NT? and what if someone is just very untypical in an unspecified way. My son's friend must draw or sing while explaining things (I mean must ).  This isn't typical, but what do you call it, anyway?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Did any of you watch the show TOUCH last night? It stars Keifer Sutherland as the dad of an 11 yr old boy w/ autism. I found it PHENOMENAL. The woman who worked with the director and the boy on how to portray autism is on my fb friends list. :) She's lovely!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:45 AM

RE: Touch. I recorded it and am looking forward to watching it. So glad to hear it is well done!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I blogged about it.

http://parentingwithaspergers.blogspot.com/2012/01/touch.html

Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Quote:

Liked the article!  I always find the NT label confusing.  My "NT" daughter is also gifted, so can she be NT?

I like the labels NT or "typically developing." I don't see what giftedness has to do with it -- some one can be gifted and also have special needs, so why not be gifted and be NT?

To me, it's just nicer to refer to people as "typical" rather than "normal."  My ASD DD isn't "abnormal."  She's completely normal for a girl on the autism spectrum. But she sure isn't a "typical" teenage girl!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

I like the labels NT or "typically developing." I don't see what giftedness has to do with it -- some one can be gifted and also have special needs, so why not be gifted and be NT?

To me, it's just nicer to refer to people as "typical" rather than "normal."  My ASD DD isn't "abnormal."  She's completely normal for a girl on the autism spectrum. But she sure isn't a "typical" teenage girl!

And that's why I propose we move to using the word heteristic/heterist/heterism instead of typical. Who defines typical? How is it defined? You know what I mean?

Old 01-28-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Quote:

And that's why I propose we move to using the word heteristic/heterist/heterism instead of typical. Who defines typical? How is it defined? You know what I mean?

The point of any word is to communicate clearly, and made up new words or low frequency words seldom do that.

Everybody knows what "typical" means.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Tags
Special Needs Parenting
User Tag List