5 year old with Anxiety Disorder/Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to these forums, though not new to Mothering (I'm a reader and often read the forums, but this is my first time posting), so first let me say hi.

I have two daughters, a five year old and a 16 month old.  My five year old has always been prone to nervousness/worry and ritualistic behavior (i.e. liking things to be a certain way ALL the time, or simply liking to repeat a way of playing over and over ad nauseum).  Lately, however, her obsessions and rituals or compulsions have become more extreme- to the point where they dominate our lives and create extreme anxiety if we try to intervene/change them in any way.  I've already spoken with her pediatrician and have been referred to a behavioral psychologist with whom we have an upcoming appt. but I just wondered if there were any other Moms/Dads out there dealing with Anxiety/OCD in young children.  If so I would really appreciate hearing about your experience.  I'm just feeling really lost and alone at the moment.  TIA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the repeat of this post-- there was some sort of glitch and when I posted this and I kept getting a message that said it was "unable to post, please try again".  Clearly it was able to post.  Could a mod delete the other five threads of the same name, please?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Done!  :)

Old 01-31-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 PM

Hi MamaDuo and welcome!  My DS is now 11 and as of this year has an ASD diagnoses along with anxiety and OCD.  He was diagnosed with anxiety and OCD first, and it was what we first noticed.  Diagnoses was at age 5 but we were having trouble with transitioning between tasks, rituals and anxiety from about age two.  I hope you get some answers from the psychologist.  If I did it all over again (we started with a psychologist, too) I would have had a neuropediatrician or developmental pediatrician on board, sooner, just to cover all the bases, but you may have them covered with what you've got.  If you have any specific concerns there's lots of helpful moms on board here.  Anyway, you're not alone in this, and help really does bring about improvement.  Age 5 was a very difficult year for us, but it did move forward.Once again, welcome!

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

Tags
Special Needs Parenting
User Tag List