Seeing speech pathologist--what to expect... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Our DS will be 4 years old in April. As far as we know, he doesn't have any other issues besides the speech one. He did reach many of his milestones late, on the outside edge of what the doctor wanted to see, but he didn't seem overly concerned.

He started with a slight stammer/stutter at just before 3.5 years old (about six months ago). We weren't too worried about it at that point. My SIL is a social worker in the public school system and said that many kids develop something similar and then grow out of it (including her own daughter), so we left it.

In the past two months, it's gotten worse so that he has difficulty being understood by people outside of the family, and occasionally by us as well. He stammers entire words (not syllables) so he could be saying, "I went to the shelf and got a a a a a a a a a...red book." It's usually words like "a, the, my" and the like that trip him up. I can see that it's frustrating for him. He gets angry and upset that others are not understanding what he's saying. He'll often generate a dozen of the same word. He's just started Kindy (Aussie preschool). We decided not to wait for the school evaluation (all Aussie schools do a 4 year old health evaluation as part of protocol) but to call a pediatric speech pathologist on our own and set up a consult.

I just wanted to ask others who have been down this road, what questions should we be asking her? What do we expect? Does anyone else have experience with LOs who had this type of speech concern and how did things turn out?

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

User Tag List