Older children, teens, young adults with Downs Syndrome - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-23-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are considering adopting a baby with Downs Syndrome.  The medical stuff doesn't scare me.  The baby, toddler, young child stuff doesn't scare me.  The older child, teen, young adult stuff scares me.  I know there is no way to know what will happen in those years and it's very individual, but it's my only hesitation with considering this particular case.

My younger brother has Spina Bifida and still lives with my parents at the age of 26.  It's been very hard on my parents the last few years because they are not on the same page as far as how best to parent an adult who in some ways mentally is still a 10 year old. 

I'm not sure I can knowingly put myself in that place.  I need to hear the good, bad, and the ugly.  Any blogs, resources, websites, etc. would be appreciated.  I've been googling, but the amount of info out there is a bit overwhelming!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't have a ton of experience, but here is what I do have. :)

My neighbor growing up has a teen with Ds. She is 17, I think. She is very social, has a boyfriend, and goes to high school. She is considered high functioning. She is taking regular classes with assistance. Not in self contained classes. She works part time at a day care that is run by an aunt, and she want to go to city college and get her early childhood credits to be a preschool assistant. 

My 2.5 year old goes to an EI preschool program once a week, one of the assistant teachers is an adult with Ds. She is awesome. She is super sweet with the kids, does her job very well, and seems to thrive. She lives in a group home, she does not drive, but her family live close by. 

ETA: was just reading Kelle Hamptom's blog and came across this. 

http://www.kellehampton.com/2012/02/dance.html

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page