Has anyone had a child under the age of two have a sleep study? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 21 month old has an extensive health history. I will refrain from writing a novel, but we are at a point where a sleep study is needed.  I am dumbfounded as to how you attach a bunch of wires to a 21 month old that is getting a sleep study, in part, due to waking every 10 min violently thrashing and screaming and twisting, for hours on end??? 

#2 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 01:08 PM

It's been a long time - my children are now 7, but...

My son had a sleep study at 18 months and my daughter has had many VEEG's since she was ~30 months (which include attached wires while awake and asleep).

In my son's case, the sleep study was very difficult because he could not fall asleep.  At one point, I was actually nodding off trying to get him to sleep.  It was a long night.  And, OT, but he never ended up displaying the activity we noticed nightly at home.

I'm not sure my children moved as much as you are describing but, they attach the wires quite well, and in the case of wires on the head, they also wrap the head so everything stays in place.  My daughter, as a toddler, was 'wired up' for as long as two days, moved around the room, and needed few reattachment's.  My son was all over the place in that bed while going through the sleep study and stayed attached fairly well.

HTH

edited to add...I was also by the side of the bed moving wires and rearranging as needed to help keep everything intact.

One more thing...part of the sleep study is the video monitoring.  So if there is an issue, they come in immediately to fix any problems. 

#3 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.  Were you asleep pretty much the whole time? Do they have the little one sleep in a crib, i am guessing?  Just thinking through the logistics.  They are supposed to call me with details, but the neurologist that is having to facilitate the study doesn't love me so I struggle to always get the info that I want/need.

#4 of 9 Old 02-25-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeChRi View Post

Were you asleep pretty much the whole time? Do they have the little one sleep in a crib, i am guessing? 

We chose not to put my son in a hospital crib but rather in a bed with sides, pillows, etc.  The cribs are sort of like cages and we were afraid he wouldn't like it and never get to sleep.  I mostly stayed awake (except for nodding off) and often laid in the bed with him while trying to get him asleep.  He finally fell asleep and I sat next to the bed.  We were wakened and released early the next morning...I sort of think they should have kept him asleep a little longer since he was up much of the night and we never saw the activity.  But it was Christmas eve and I am wondering if they wanted to get home. 

When my daughter has extended EEG's I usually sleep in a bed or chair in her room next to the bed.

It's difficult when you have a neurologist that is not great at communicating.  We've had five neurologists over the years and it makes the process much less stressful when you are able to get all the information you want/need.   You could call the sleep study center, the techs or nurses would probably be very helpful.  We've only had the one sleep study so I am not sure if they are always the same.  But we have had EEG's at several hospitals and there are little differences (like types of adhesives, private or shared room, etc.) that are nice to know ahead of time.

#5 of 9 Old 02-25-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info.  So they try and mimic the normal sleep setting?  My 21 month old has never been a crib sleeper.  She slept with us and now is on a twin mattress (on the floor) with a side rail.  There is futon mattress next to it that I sleep on once she starts her wakes cycles.  Often I end up in the twin bed with her on particularly bad nights. 

The neuro we saw would not order a sleep study.  Another Dr we saw after that insisted we get one, called back there, ordered it, now the neuro is pissy with us.  I'm sure we will get more info on it all, but of course it is twisting in my head now. :)

#6 of 9 Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM

DS#2 was right around 2 when we had a sleep study done for sleep apnea. He is also ASD, we didn't know it at the time, just knew he never stayed asleep and was always on sensory overload, among other things.

We don't cosleep, but I also was concerned on how they would get him wired up and tested. We had the test done at the Children's Hospital, so they at least had experience with little kids. We just kept him awake really late, I think they had us check in around 9 or 10pm, when his usual bedtime was like 7pm. We followed his normal routine as much as possible (stories, song, lights out). I lay down on the bed next to him for awhile and patted and shushed him. It was a normal bed I think, or maybe a bed with rails? Definitely not a hospital crib/cage. But the room was more hospital setting than anything. For a kid who had NEVER slept anywhere but home, it was hard. I had some sort of fold out couch next to him, but of course I didn't really sleep. The technician got him about 50% wired awake, then came in and put some more on him after he was asleep. They never did get the thing under his nose to measure his CO2 output, but the guy said that was typical for a kid.

The tech was not supposed to disclose results, but he did let me watch the monitors and told me what I was seeing, unofficially. It was kind of cool. I could totally see all the disruptions to DS's sleep, and how he was never getting into deep sleep/Delta wave sleep.

He had a tonsillectomy a few weeks later, which cured the apnea once he was healed. He was sleeping through the night within a month.

I would go somewhere they are used to doing kids, like a children's hospital, if at all possible.

Me: 38 DH: 47
DS#1: 9/01 DS#2: 8/04 : DS#3: 7/06 DD#1: 8/09
#7 of 9 Old 02-28-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Ours will be done a Children's Hospital, but one I am not a fan of thus far.  Hopefully those doing the sleep study will prove better. 

Thank you all for your feedback!

#8 of 9 Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM

Clearly, my twins' sleep studies were for different reasons (epilepsy).  But I was also extremely skeptical that we could pull them off.  

At the staff's suggestion, we scheduled their studies early in the morning and spent the night before at an all-night bowling alley, where people fussed over them (how often do you see toddlers at an all-night bowling alley?).  They got to walk on the lanes, bowl, eat pizza, drink Coke (a REAL novelty!) and play video games.  The staff made a big deal out of giving them signed bowling pins to take home.  They thought it was a huge party.  By the time we got to the sleep study, they were exhausted and crashed, after drinking caffeine.  The nurses played calming music, dimmed the lights and they were down for the count.  Smooth as silk.  It helped to let the bowling alley staff know what was going on, 24 hours in advance - and to arrange  for my mother to watch the kids in the late afternoon, after their studies, so *I* could crash.

Best of luck.  It won't be the staff's first time, doing this with a young child.  They may surprise you.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#9 of 9 Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Our DD had her sleep study at 2 yrs old at the Children's Hospital.  We came in around 7 pm, they hooked her up while letting her watch TV (we were able to bring our video).  We were in a hospital bed, ans she and I snuggled up together until she crashed.  I just had to make sure she could be seen by the video camera.  Once she fell asleep, I moved to a couch they had in the room.  They should call you with info, and be sure to tell them your child's usual schedule.  They need them awake for a certain time and asleep for a certain time, if you have an early bedtime, they may need to get started early.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page