Gabe's muscles - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4 year old son has a mild form of Cerebral Palsy. He is fine mentally and is mostly physically but the muscles in his legs are like rubber bands and the more he grows the tighter they are getting. He is in gymnastics weekly, has had weekly physical and occupational therapy for 3 years not and wears braces day and night but nothing seems to be helping relieve the tightness. His doctor at the CP clinic wants to put botox in his legs to loosen those muscles but i'm wondering if like massage therapy would help or if there's any oils i can massage on his legs each night before bed to prevent the botox procedure and help the muscles loosen up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 of 3 Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 PM

Hi Metalmama. My son is almost 2 and he has spastic cerebral palsy with the tight muscles in his legs. It's mild enough that he can walk, but he looks robotic and stiff and his balance is poor. He is getting his first pair of braces in about two weeks.

Does your son still get physical therapy? I wonder if the PT can offer ideas for home exercises that will help him. Ours has given us some ideas such as gently pulling up on his toes, having him jump, and doing soft tissue massage along the sides of his hamstrings. I don't really know if they're helping. He learned to walk late, so he hasn't been walking long enough to see if it is improving.

Are you concerned about the safety or the cost of the botox injections? I wonder if anyone else on here has more ideas for you if these are your concerns.

We took our son to a physiatrist two weeks ago. (I had never heard of one. It's a medical doctor specializing in physical therapy and other rehabilitation.) He said he doesn't predict our son will ever need surgery, but I didn't ask about botox. It wouldn't surprise me if it is in his future. My son's pediatric neurologist said sometimes his CP will get better, sometimes worse as he grows.

Hoping for the best for you and your son.

Raising and educating free-range kids in our farmhouse at the maple woods. In March, find us in the sugarbush making pure maple syrup.

1 me + 1 hubby + 4 kids + 5 goats + 3 pigs + 3 dozen chickens + 6 ducks = 1 crazy place
#3 of 3 Old 03-01-2012, 02:00 PM

We are in a similar boat right now.... our youngest has been diagnosed with mild cp and she is having more issues with her legs lately.  She does not have braces yet, I have been asking the Ortho for them but he wanted us to try PT with intensive concentration on her legs.  I have a few friends whose children have had the botox injections and quite a few people have been discussing them on a few pages on Facebook.....it would seem that the botox works very well for many kids.... though the effects only last on average a few months and then they must be repeated.  Also it was mentioned that if you do not have intense therapy as well as keeping the legs braced while having the botox it will be almost useless. Most of the people who were commenting had either had children who had the botox injections or were therapists that worked with patients who had undergone the shots.

Our daughter is not at the point where she will need shots now but it may be a possibility in the future.... I don't know how I feel other than I really wish that I could spend more time with the different professionals that we deal with to really discuss in depth all of the different therapies they have seen be successful.... we are always strapped for time!

I hope that you find something that is successful for your little one!

~laura

laura, dh Brian, ds Rory 14, dd Ellie 13, ds Caelan 11, ds Seamus 9, ds Finn 7 and Penelope 2 !!!!

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page