*UPDATE* Weeding out the "quirks".. - what is pertinent to an ASD dx? *UPDATE* - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 03-22-2012, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it is really hard to tell at 4yo and what a PP said about girls having some social compensations is also true, making it even more hard to diagnose.  Sensory issues are a big deal for my ds but they aren't quite front and center.  So I do want to backtrack a little and say that my PP was all first impression and obviously reality is complex. 

Ds is a little bit more likely to resort to being physical when there is a problem, and he can't stop himself getting angry when teased by a sibling.  Overall he doesn't rage, but when he is angry he has no perspective compared to most folks.  For some kids that could translate into rage.  He used to get really worked up when he couldn't get things to go his way, and he can be harsh even now.  So maybe the emotional aspect is part of an ASD that's a little different.

Anyhow, I do apologize for being so adamant in my PP because I could be wrong.  When you clarify the conversation being one-sided and then think about 4yos hey an ASD could be a fit.  I hope you find someone who really knows their stuff more than I do to help get you guys on the right track to meeting your needs.  That sounds so stressful.  I have spent so many years with a kid that is so high-maintenance sometimes I can hardly tell how I get through the day much less survive a week or a year.  It's so exhausting!  I hope you get some good help. 

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#32 of 33 Old 03-22-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you littlest, and thank you everyone.

We don't have a diagnosis, but are being referred to a behavioral psychologist because of the cycling and the possiblity of bipolar disorder greensad.gif I'm scared, I'm nervous, I want my baby to just be okay and have zero issues with anything...  She says definite SPD.  Her gross motor planning delays are still there and were very apparent when her little sister scaled a climbing wall in seconds and it took her 15 minutes to get it with help.  She shows an obvious lack of empathy, which was apparent when she told the OT she wanted to push her sister fast on the swing so she could fall and get hurt.  She doesn't seem to fully understand emotion.

I'm not totally sure what the OT is going to work on- her main concerns in her "turf" are the motor planning things and sensory things.  She wants to make sure sensory stuff isn't causing her cycling making it look like cycling, but not true cycles.  

I'm beside myself, but I'm glad we are getting some kind of services.  Who knows how long the behavioral psychologist's waiting list is.  They do home visits... that would be nice.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#33 of 33 Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 AM

I've been following your thread--your DD sounds a lot like mine. I'm going to PM you some thoughts and resources I've found helpful. Just wanted to offer a hug2.gif as you go through the process.

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page