Help! DS with DD...How to do everything and therapy too? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS has some developmental delays that we have started therapy for...He goes to therapy once a week, but, of course, I am supposed to work on everything everyday...HOW??  How do you be the mom you want to be to your older DD plus homeschool her, keep the house from being disgusting, feed reasonably healthful meals, shower, get everyone appropriate amount of sleep  AND do all of this therapy??  I felt I had a good balance before and now I am struggling...Something is always falling behind...Would love encouragement and tips from mommas who have BTDT.  Thanks!

PS And good vibes for our first appt with neurodevelopmental doc today.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 AM

Unless he has some pretty significant delays - it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so a day.  Can you work them in while say your daughter is reading to herself?  If the therapy program takes 20 minutes (for example), your probably don't need to do 20 minutes straight.  You could break it up to 2 or 4 sessions.  Talk to the therapist about the best way to get it all in.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 PM

The best advice I can give as a therapist (speech) and a mom whose son receives therapy is to work on finding ways of incorporating therapy into your everyday life.  Ask your therapists for specific ideas about how you can practice skills during bathtime, outdoors, in the car etc.  Therapy and daily activities do not have to be mutually exclusive.  My son gets PT (more services to come for OT). He practices climbing up and down the stairs every time we leave the house, climbing up into his car seat, picking up "heavy" toys and putting them on shelves, raising his hands up while emptying the dishwasher, stomping on bubbles etc.

Do the best you can and don't stress if you can't work on everything everyday.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.  Definitely working on incorporating into every day.  It is less the SLP therapy (feel like I can work all that in throughout the day) and more the PT/OT..All of the things she wants me to do, would really take most of the day (outside of the other necessary things like sleep, meals, etc.)....I guess I am going to just try to get what I can in and mix it up daily?  Thanks for the encouragement too!

User Tag List