Private speech therapy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS1 is almost four. He's been in speech since he was 18 months as well as OT and PT started earlier. Anyhow, we've had four speech therapists between EI and now the school (they come to our house). While I've been happy for the most part with OT and PT, I swear we have not had a single decent Speech therapist. I won't bore anyone with the details but I'm wondering if there are others who have experienced this and decided to try a private SLP and if so, if you were happy you made that choice. We are not swimming in cash here and it is obviously expensive to go the private route but I feel like the current SLP is hurting more than helping. TIA smile.gif
#2 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 AM

I actually had the opposite experience, so I don't think private therapy is necessarily better. I think it's just a matter of finding the right fit.

Even though my son qualified for OT and ST through EI based on his needs, we had to pay 100% based on our income (up to 5% of our gross annual, and then they'd cover). So I figured if we were paying anyway, I'd take him to the best clinic in town and not limit myself to the EI therapists. Well, it was at the best of times acceptable and at the worst of times (which was pretty much all the time with the OT) completely counterproductive. Once he started with the school when he turned three, and I saw how good things could be, I dropped the private therapists like hot potatoes. The therapists through the school are awesome. love.gif

I think of you have the means to afford some private ST, it's worth checking out. But don't assume just because you're paying that they are going to be better. If it's possible, do a little research first, maybe get some recommendations, and talk to the therapists first about their methods and style. One good thing about paying though is it probably changes the dynamic a bit and makes it easier to express expectations. 

#3 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

My DD had private speech therapy and our insurance paid for most of it. Check your plan and see what is covered, or see if you can do with pre-tax dollars through a health savings account.

We had a good experience, but even though we went private, we still had a long wait to get started.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We do private and EI but are transitioning to school based services since he turns 3 next month. My private therapist is better then our EI one and the SLP at the speech playgroup he also attends. Everyone has a different style and technique but he has by far has made the greatest progress with her. When we went private, she has just had a family stop services and didn't have a waiting list then so we got right in with her one open slot, now she has a waiting list. I've been wanting to switch our time slot since we started with her in Sept and haven't been able to yet. My insurance does not cover it so it is $70.00 a week out of pocket but has been worth it. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We've had private speech and we've had speech therapists at school.  Some years the school therapist is far better than the private speech therapist.  We have a great SLP this year at school so we completely dropped the private speech.  

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#6 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 PM

We have done both and still do.  We loved the speech therapist through EI BUT with budget cuts our son was only give 2 hours a week when he really needed a lot more.  So we went to the local university that has a speech therapy department and the students work with my son and are overseen by the head therapists.  It has worked out wonderfully!  And it's only 150$ for 3 months of therapy.

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

#7 of 8 Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I think we are going to try a private SLP. I've worked in EI so I know there can be good therapists in the county and school systems but here it seems like those jobs don't pay as well so maybe the better therapists go elsewhere. Regardless, there doesn't seem to be any way around working with the current therapist from the school unless we just go with private therapy. Ughhhh... Special needs are definitely expensive.
#8 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM

Good Morning,

I saw your posting and felt an obligation to comment. I am a Speech Therapist and a mother. I work full-time in the public school system and I also work at a skilled nursing facility. Unfortunately your story is not un-common. Like with any profession, a degree does not make you "good" at what you do. If you are looking for a qualified speech therapist you want someone who is Nationally certified. You can do this by going to the American Speech and Hearing Association website (www.asha.com) and search for providers. They should always have a masters degree and "CCC" after their name. Another option is to investigate local colleges and see if they have a graduate program in "Speech Pathology" or "Communication Disorders". Often times they have an on-campus clinic where graduate students provide services under the supervision of certified clinician's. The fees are as low as $15.00/ week. The services are typically exceptional. You can also speak with your local public school. Often times the therapists also provide private services outside of school (I do this as well). Ask to speak with other clients. You want to look for someone who is up-to-date on current research and methadology. While public schools don't pay a ton of money they still offer great therapists. You need to find someone who does it for the right reasons. This is a second career for me and I love what I do. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

I hope you find what you are looking for to help your little one!

SEA

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page