Anyone with bipolar DC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 6yo DS is ADD/dyslexic, and I've started wondering about bipolar.  I first thought Asperger's, but his symptoms aren't quite the same.  The short list here...

He can be so bright, loving & wonderful, then turns on a dime and cycles between:

1) this super silly, hyper, way "out there" imaginative kid who is convinced he has super powers & lives in his head, blasting off and running circles around the living room; 

2) anxious to the point of chronic diarrhea & vomiting, biting his nails to the quick, worried that his bipolar/psychotic bio-father will return someday, or maybe an asteroid will smash into the earth;

3) depressed & angry, throwing horrible tantrums that last up to an hour where I have to physically restrain him, because he's threatening to hurt/kill us or himself;

4) calms down & is back to his normal sweet self, sometimes apologizing for acting that way by saying his dad gave him his "bad spirit". (don't know where he came up with that one!)

He also has alot of sensory issues & freaks out over certain foods/sensations (like even mildly spicy foods or brushing his teeth), while craving other stimulation (like jumping off a 5' play structure or non-stop talking loud enough to bring someone out of a coma).  There are times when he tunes out everything, and though his hearing & vision are fine, he doesn't register you're there unless you make physical contact, then he startles like you snuck up on him.

Whatever is going on, it's very stressful for the whole family - it's especially hard on the little ones caught in the middle and DH (whose first child is our 1yo DD), he had a bipolar/schizoprenic sister who made his life hell & he doesn't know how to handle this. I don't know what to do, feel so helpless & lost!  Anyone else dealing with something similar?

Mostly SAH mama with DS1, 8yo DS2, 5yo DD1, 3yoDD2, born Aug 2014 & my awesome DH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 10:11 AM

I don't have a bipolar child, but I couldn't read and not respond. I have a child with intense emotional needs, so I know how hard it can be on the whole family. My only suggestion is to find a therapist, someone who is experienced with kids. Hang in there, I know that it's really hard.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 AM

If you have access to a pediatric psychiatrist or psychologist, I'd be on their doorstep.  They will likely be reluctant to diagnose something as big as manic depression in a kid so young, but they can start the process of figuring out whats up anyways.  Have you done anything to make sure it's not food related or something? 

Old 03-08-2012, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Another one here with a kid with emotional needs as well as dyslexia, SPD, it is hard! Pediatric psychiatrist gets my vote. I think DD1 just has an anxiety disorder but when it is bad, it is BAD, no one sleeps, she basically just ruins everything for everyone in this family. We've been waiting to see a psychiatrist because this has gone on for so many years, she is 9 now, that she needs meds now. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Another one here with a kid with emotional needs as well as dyslexia, SPD, it is hard! Pediatric psychiatrist gets my vote. I think DD1 just has an anxiety disorder but when it is bad, it is BAD, no one sleeps, she basically just ruins everything for everyone in this family. We've been waiting to see a psychiatrist because this has gone on for so many years, she is 9 now, that she needs meds now. 

Thanks everyone...yes it is hard for us, but I feel so bad for the little ones, they don't need to be so shook up by watching their big brother come un-glued!  I am hoping we can find a way to help him without meds, he is so young, I don't know what that would do to his developing brain chemistry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Muise View Post

If you have access to a pediatric psychiatrist or psychologist, I'd be on their doorstep.  They will likely be reluctant to diagnose something as big as manic depression in a kid so young, but they can start the process of figuring out whats up anyways.  Have you done anything to make sure it's not food related or something? 

I think we will try to get him in for therapy at least, even if they can't diagnose yet.  Michael has a ton of food sensitivities: gluten, soy, corn, dairy & salicylates.  We've been really good about gluten, soy & corn, but the others we've kinda let slide since his diet is already so restrictive, it just gets ridiculous otherwise! But it might be worth a try to cut out the dairy and stuff that's high in sal's again & see how it goes.  Sigh...there's no easy way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie12 View Post

I don't have a bipolar child, but I couldn't read and not respond. I have a child with intense emotional needs, so I know how hard it can be on the whole family. My only suggestion is to find a therapist, someone who is experienced with kids. Hang in there, I know that it's really hard.

Thanks again, I will see what I can do about finding him some help.  At least I know I'm not alone! redface.gif  Good luck to everyone...

Mostly SAH mama with DS1, 8yo DS2, 5yo DD1, 3yoDD2, born Aug 2014 & my awesome DH
Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

He is quite a bit younger then my DD1. She wasn't able able to express her emotions accurately when she was 6. She can tell me now that she wants to be normal, she wants not to be afraid of everything, her exact words. She cries before bed almost every single night because she is just done with feeling so much. The intensity of what she feels and what affects her is in stark contract to my other kids. My heart just breaks for her. She deserves to feel like a normal child which she doesn't. We've done years of therapy, it hasn't been enough. Therapy can be very effective, DD1 just needs more. Over the years, the younger siblings have started mimicking her behavior. She can't help it, but they see her doing it and don't understand, they think that is how you are supposed to act. I really feel for you, it is very difficult to parent and to watch. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man, I really feel for you too...DS1 feels everything so intensely, it's just surreal.  Hyper-sensitive doesn't even begin to describe it!  He has already influenced the behavior of his younger siblings, and it is so difficult to deal with!  How do I explain to them that it isn't ok to act like that, when they see him coming un-glued every day?!  Sigh.  I just try my best to remain grounded and model the way I want them to act...easier said than done, sometimes.

Tags
Special Needs Parenting
User Tag List