speech therapy for toddlers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

Many people suggest speech therapy for toddlers when they are slow to develop a larger vocabulary. I don't want to miss an important "window" for intervention but I sense that my 22 month old just needs time...His favorite words are "on," "down," our dog's name, "want that," "hold that" "help you," and he often uses babytalk/gibberish conversationally with a great deal of inflection. He does a lot of pointing and waiting for me to say the word but not immediately parroting it.

A variable in his early childhood experience which may be a factor in his verbal development is that on our travels he's been exposed to foreign languages such as Japanese, Turkish, and Chinese for periods of up to four weeks at a time since birth.

Should I be looking for a speech therapist or following my gut on this, and what if I'm wrong?

Thank you for your feedback!

#2 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM

What would be the "cons" of doing speech therapy? Generally Early Intervention would come to your home, do therapy, and it would be free. I am a big fan of EI, why wait to see if things will get worse, get the therapy and catch up while they are young!

(And make sure you always get a hearing test before you start speech therapy!)

#3 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethMCO View Post

Many people suggest speech therapy for toddlers when they are slow to develop a larger vocabulary.

Who are these "many people"? Are they professionals who know the milestones and your child?

The first step is to ascertain if your child is behind norms or not, and if so, why.

I agree with the previous poster than anytime there are concerns, a hearing check (not a screening but a real hearing test with an audiologist experienced with working with toddlers) is in order.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

Who are these "many people"? Are they professionals who know the milestones and your child?

The first step is to ascertain if your child is behind norms or not, and if so, why.

I agree with the previous poster than anytime there are concerns, a hearing check (not a screening but a real hearing test with an audiologist experienced with working with toddlers) is in order.

I agree - instead of forking over money for speech therapy that your child may not need, meet with your child's pediatrician to discuss your concerns, and then get a developmental evaluation if the ped. thinks it's a good idea.

There is a huge range of normal for all developmental milestones.  You mentioned your son's favorite words, but have you counted the number of words he uses?  It might be higher than you think, and may be well within the normal range.

My daughter didn't say much until around age 2, but she had enough words that it wasn't a concern.  Then she had a speech explosion and started speaking in full sentences, and I could have a give-and-take conversation with her by age 2.5.  She's not yet 3 and never stops talking.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM

I kind of feel the same way you do about young speech therapy.  Give the kids a little time to have a language explosion and even learn how to say all of the sounds correctly.  Even if it is free - it's not something I'm interested in at this point.

FWIW - both of my children started verbalizing way more between 22 months and 26 months.  It was like every week there was something new.  My daughter turned 2 a few weeks ago and the difference in her talking between now and then is phenomenal.  My almost 4 year old still has a few sounds he has trouble saying, but I remember reading somewhere that it is "normal" for certain sounds not to develop until age 5 or 6.  I just practice with him on my own when I remember.  I figure when he starts school they will say something if it's outside what's normal.

Mama to three

#6 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 PM

Here is an interesting article about children with language delays:

http://www.healthychild.com/language-delays/children-with-delays-in-language/

At the end of it is a section that describes when you may want to seek professional guidance about your child's speech. We chose to seek a speech therapist much sooner than is indicated on that chart. I would follow your gut, what works for you.

At 22 months putting 2-word sentences together sounds right on track. How are his receptive skills? Does he follow directions? We were relieved to find out our dd has great reception, even though she only speaks a few words at 22 months. We were very concerned about long stretches of silence, and very little babbling.

#7 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 PM

My two girls were later on the tail end of "normal" speech development. By later, I mean that even with me being a laid back mom, I was started to get concerned and had a date/age in my mind of when I wanted to see more progress. Both eventually ended up being evaled and barely missed qualifying. My now 9 year has a couple sounds that still are not correct, not normal by her age that we are currently working on. My 5 year is still at the tail end of normal, not everyone else can still understand her. My first son however was/is certainly speech delayed. I knew by 12 months there was an issue and as soon as he turned 18 months, I was calling EI. More time was not what he needed. I am a huge fan of EI after our experiences. Early intervention really does make a difference. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post

I kind of feel the same way you do about young speech therapy.  Give the kids a little time to have a language explosion and even learn how to say all of the sounds correctly.  Even if it is free - it's not something I'm interested in at this point.

My DD's slow speech develop was the ONLY sign that she had minor hearing problems. "Giving a kid time" is simply not always the best idea. Getting experts involved is HOW one figures out what is going.

I'm neither pro nor con on speech therapy.

I'm advocating seeking real information about one's child and making decisions based on that information.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#9 of 10 Old 03-24-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

It's been really helpful to get all this feedback. Each one of the responses has helped to inform me in this process. We're getting ready for my toddlers two year, well-child check-up so I'll ask a number of questions then. He has has his hearing thoroughly tested, no problem there :)

#10 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 03:58 AM

You might really like Speechtails (.com)!  I have been using it for some time with two children I take care of.  We really love it, and I have seen great results.  I have been an in-home daycare provider for 18 years.  This is the best speech program I have come across. I love being able to do it here, at home, and whenever it fits into our day best.  You are a good mom!  Keep it up, Good Luck!

Tags
Mothering Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page