hypotonia and delays in self-feeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 18mo son has had mild hypotonia since newborn, has been delayed with crawling (13mo) and has only recently started pulling himself up on furniture, no walking yet.  My concern at the moment is that he is still not self-feeding, especially finger foods.  He has put a few pieces of food in his mouth on the odd occasion, but most of the time he just looks at it then drops it on the floor.  He will usually eat it if I put it in his mouth.  He will try to use a spoon but only for a few mouthfuls and then stops.  His pediatrician has put him on a waiting list for speech therapy, but wants to give him until he turns 2yo before starting that and/or OT/physio for walking.  I am waiting to hear back from him re therapy for self feeding (ran out of time to bring it up at the appt). 

I have been feeling pretty discouraged about his delays and worried that there is something more I should have done/should be doing for him.  Has anyone else had these issues with self-feeding and if so, how did you manage it and how soon did you go for therapy?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter had troubles feeding herself as well. Although she has multiple issues and couldnt even sit up by herself until 13 months and is a month away from turning 3 and just started walking. She also has hypotonic cerebral palsy. I would definitely start OT for the feeding. It truly does help, and if he's anything like my daughter, he will get the hang of it really fast with some OT. What state are you in? Most states have their early access program you can call (your doctor can refer you, but you can also refer yourself if your doctor won't). They have OT as well as PT and speech and pretty much anything else you would ever need and they come to your house for therapy and it's free! I would definitely look into that. The earlier you start helping him the sooner he will catch up. And hopefully once he gets the hang of it he won't need therapy anymore! I would definitely look into what the program is in your state. I'm in Iowa and here it goes through our AEAs (Area Education Agencies).

Also, don't be discouraged by his delays, all kids do things in their own time. I know how hard it can be to see your child falling behind but I'm sure there are other things he excels at as well! winky.gif Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Wife to Robert 8-9-08heartbeat.gif Mommy to Lani 4-24-09 babygirl.gif and Cambria 3-25-11 babygirl.gif and one on the way! 6-26-13 stork-suprise.gif

Tags
Special Needs Parenting
User Tag List