First IEP, any advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lani turns three next month so we are moving from our IFSPs into her first IEP next month and I'm pretty nervous about it! She is profoundly deaf with Cochlear Implants, she has global delays (she is almost 3 and just started walking), and currently no communication mode. We have been really pushing ASL and speech and even trying the PEC system but currently she just isn't responding to anything. (she knows some signs but will not do any back). So given her different areas that need work what advice would you give me for her IEP? I am just so worried I'm not going to get everything that she needs and I do not want that to happen!

She is supposed to be stating preschool in the fall (I'm still really torn about this decision and do not want to send her for another year, but to keep here AEA services she has to start school).

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wife to Robert 8-9-08heartbeat.gif Mommy to Lani 4-24-09 babygirl.gif and Cambria 3-25-11 babygirl.gif and one on the way! 6-26-13 stork-suprise.gif

#2 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 PM

I suggest writing down your concerns and desired accomodations before hand, these things have a funny way of slipping your mind in the moment.  Its very easy to get off on a tangent and forget something.  Also, if you don't have a binder started, start one.  Take notes at meetings, make sure you get down who said what could or couldn't be done and why, and who all was there.  Not only does the simple act of taking notes make it clear that you mean buisness, but you will have your own record of what happened in the event that your memory and their memory doesn't match up later, or something gets missed.  http://www.wrightslaw.com/advoc/articles/advocacy.intro.htm has very good articles about advocating, your child's rights, and how to get them.  GL!  - jen

#3 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 AM

I just started reading "The IEP From A to Z" so I can't tell you how good it is but it is interesting so far.  There are books with full IEP examples but I'd check your library if you can instead of/before buying.

You could also try googling her diagnoses and "IEP" or "IEP examples." You may also benefit from an advocate; your state dept of education probably has a special education section that includes federal and state law, and may also have a list of free/low cost advocacy services.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I actually bought that book too, I just need to sit down and read it. Thanks!

Wife to Robert 8-9-08heartbeat.gif Mommy to Lani 4-24-09 babygirl.gif and Cambria 3-25-11 babygirl.gif and one on the way! 6-26-13 stork-suprise.gif

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page