Autism diets, supplements, bio medical advise - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello my son is about to turn 3 and was diagnosed at 2 with ASD.  He has been on gf cf diet and probiotics since he was 18 months, around 20months I tried GAPS diet and he gained a couple of words at first and then lost all of them while he was still on the diet.  Then i put him back on gf cf diet and he got a couple words back. He still only has about 4 words. We just seen a DAN doctor who put him on nystatin. He seems to have longer lasting fits since on the nystatin. other wise havent seen much, its been about 6 days.  In about a week we will start b12. but this DAN doctor didnt run any blood work or anything?? I am just looking for advise... other diets to try, other suppelments or any other advise, Thank you!

#2 of 8 Old 03-27-2012, 05:07 PM

Lots of biomed info on autismparentcentral.com

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#3 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 AM

Nystatin is an antifungal.  Many children who have dysbiosis or candida overgrowth will suffer from "die off"  As the yeast are eliminated simultaneously, they release their toxins which the body is trying to remove.  A regression in behavior, loose stool, flu like symptoms, fatigue are common symptoms.  It can take anywhere from a day to a week before the toxins are gone.  Giving activated charcoal can help speed the process up.  Make sure you are giving the probiotics regularly.  As the Nystatin eliminates the yeast, it makes room in the gut for the good and bad bacteria to flourish.  The probiotics will ensure that the bad bacteria numbers remain constant.  It is very important that you stick with the process.  The goal is the heal the gut and improve the health of the child.

Autism.com provides some great resources.  There is also ARISupport on yahoo groups.  Dr. James Adams wrote a paper in 2007 that provides basic guidelines and explained the process to parents.  Very informative.  http://www.autism.com/pdf/providers/adams_biomed_summary.pdf

#4 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 AM

With regards to the b12.  There was no lab work done at all?  You should ask why.  Not all DAN practioners are the same.  Are you concerned because of the method of administration?  We did the methly b-12 shots.  You could ask if you could try the nasal mb12.  There is a reason that children benefit from those methods versus the oral where they have difficulty breaking it down and absorbing it if they have gut issues.  The mb12 was beneficial for my 2 eldest ASD children.  We did them for a few years.

#5 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! So much info on those sites my head is spining. How much activated charcoal should i give him?? I am going to find a new dan doctor. He didnt do any labs and doesnt plan on doing any. Also he was talking about doing IV chelation and i dont think i want to do that. Thanks
#6 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 PM

The activate charcoal capsules are pretty big.  I can't tell you how much to give, but when my children were around 3, I would start off with 1/4 to 1/2 of a capsule.  Mostly because of the taste.  I would mix it in something, ie applesauce, honey and even chocolate syrup. 

The autism.com has a parent section and even provides a list of questions that you can ask the DAN docs as you interview them.  You should also speak to other parents who have used the doc.  There are numerous message boards where parents share info.  I remember thinking that I would never do chelation, but as I learned more about biomed and the health of my children I realized the need.  IV Chelation is the recommended choice, but your child is still very young and IV may not be appropriate.  I used chelation in the form of suppositories for my children when they were 3, 4 and 5.  They were small doses, but I saw improvement in my daughter within a month.  No matter what you choose, remember that you are the parent and ALWAYS make the final choice on what interventions to try.  A DAN doc who does not listen to your concerns where you do not feel you are a team member is not the right fit for your family.

The mb-12 injections are really not harmful.  Dr. Neubrander has conducted research on mb-12 injections for years.  Here is info about his research.  http://www.drneubrander.com/mb12.php 

Good luck.

#7 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

#8 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 04:30 PM

You can also look into Dr. Amber Brooks who is a DAN doctor at http://wholechildwellness.com She also does free consultations including long distance if you want a second opinion. I am also ASD and I found that the Gluten Free Diet at least for me works well for periods of time but I will sometimes eat some gluten and I'm usually fine as long as it's not too much and no white flour. 

Learn health and healing naturally.

http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page