Decisions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all
I am trying to make some preschool decisions and would appreciate any thoughts. My LO is receiving early intervention mainly for communication. He has been going to a preschool that so far has been ok. He loves it. It took him some time to warm up but he has developed some friendships. The problem however is that this school is in another town. It's about a 20 min drive for us and once I drop him off I stay in town until he is done. This has worked thus far since I usually use the time to go to the gym and get caught up with research work. I am in that town a lot anyway because of the amenities they have there.

We recently had an addition to the family and we are barely to get there on time so mornings end up being frustrating and exhausting for all of us. My LO still has one more year to go before kindergarten. I am thinking of moving him closer to home. Most of his friends are moving on to kindergarten in their various school districts so this might be a good transition point for him.

The schools in my area are quite different from the one he has been going to. For one thing there is a larger student to teacher ratio. Additionally while all schools have experience working with early intervention the school that he is at have a closer relationship since they are one of the approved EI schools. That said though I have had issues with the school because of poor communication between the lead teacher and myself and also because sometimes I've felt that my LO don't get as much attention as he should.

This is getting long but I would really like some input. I don't know if I should just keep him where he is or move him to a new preschool. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Having a child who has at times been really unhappy at school, I would be extremely hesitate to take a special needs child out of a school where they are happy.

Moving your child to a school with a larger student teacher ratio will most likely get him less rather than more attention. Have you checked out the schools closer to you? Visited them with your son?

20 minutes is not a long way to drive to a school that works for your child, and moving your child to a school a couple of minutes closer will not make it easier to get there on time.  Adjusting to a new member of the family takes time.

Is special needs preschool complete with bus service an option?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Linda on the Move.  Yes, I am hesitant to move him because he does like it and 20 min drive is not an inconvenience.  We have visited schools together and there were two he said he liked.  One was in the other town but with a later start time and the other is 5 min. away from us.  I have been told that moving him closer to home will facilitate him building relationships with future classmate for kindergarden and beyond.  No, we dont have the bus option because we are in a different school district.  Thanks again!

Old 04-01-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

Having a child who has at times been really unhappy at school, I would be extremely hesitate to take a special needs child out of a school where they are happy.

Moving your child to a school with a larger student teacher ratio will most likely get him less rather than more attention. Have you checked out the schools closer to you? Visited them with your son?

20 minutes is not a long way to drive to a school that works for your child, and moving your child to a school a couple of minutes closer will not make it easier to get there on time.  Adjusting to a new member of the family takes time.

I totally agree with the above. If he is happy-- I would do my best to make it work. In time, you will adjust to your new addition. Even by next Fall what is difficult now may be much smoother.

Also- I agree a higher ratio will likely lead to LESS attention. Also if he has the same school next year, the relationships will be helpful rather than doing preschool twice in two different locations and then a new school again for K.

20 min is not a big deal. We drive 10 and that is for our home school-- last year we drove 20 (30 in bad weather) and it worked out. I ,too, ran errands on that side of town rather than go home and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azik's mom View Post

I have been told that moving him closer to home will facilitate him building relationships with future classmate for kindergarden and beyond.  No, we dont have the bus option because we are in a different school district.  Thanks again!

No matter what- new relationships will change in K. Unless you are in the EXACT preschool school with only kids that feed into that school for K - the dynamics will change (as will the teachers) and the preschool kids that do stay at the same school are not likely to also be in his class (or not the students he likes). Schools often try to mix up kids each year to expose them to new kids.

I would stay put. Then also try to get involved in a local program during the summer with local kids so that he may have friends in K. Maybe a local class or playgroup?

Good Luck- it is hard. We did three different preschools ( due to varying circumstances) that were all good and then a different Elem. School. It worked just fine and my girls have meet good friends everywhere. Kids that age are usually quick to meet new kids.

I would run a new school by my LOs but that said- I would not vouch for their ability to prefer one or another for an educational reason. My DDs would pick a school if they liked the color, the gym looked nice, they had neat play toys,they meet a nice friends on the playground... etc. These are valid reasons for liking it, but long term they are not relevant for educational value for the entire year.

Maybe find a carpool, that could help. Even if every other day was a bit longer due to pickup and drop off, at least then you would not have to worry about being on time everyother day,

Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much mamas
Old 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Hi Id suggest you give yourself a bit more time to get used to the new baby changing the family dynamics (and congrats by the way!) When you are tired, we all are guilty of looking for a quick soln. but you don't want an upset child on top of having to cope with a new baby-postpone the decision at present and when things settle-revisit the thought. good luck x

Old 04-11-2012, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Just to include some more information.  Its not only about finder a school thats closer although that would be more convenient.  It's also not feeling totally satisfied with the school.  My DS loves it but recently I have been feeling that he is getting overlooked.  He is very quiet, at school and very easy going and often times when I ask how he is doing they dont seem to know.  I actually thought about switching schools last year when the teacher he was attached to left.  But after meeting her replacement I decided to continue since I really liked her and she had lots of experience working with diverse learners.  Problem is she will be gone for part of next year.

In any event I am going to speak to the director about the issues we have been having.I want to make sure that if we are going this far that my DS is getting what he needs.  So depending on how that meeting goes I will be clearer on what we should do.  Thanks for all the input.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Quote:

My DS loves it but recently I have been feeling that he is getting overlooked.  He is very quiet, at school and very easy going and often times when I ask how he is doing they dont seem to know.  I

Quote:

The schools in my area are quite different from the one he has been going to. For one thing there is a larger student to teacher ratio. Additionally while all schools have experience working with early intervention the school that he is at have a closer relationship since they are one of the approved EI schools

So you feel that changing your child to a school with a higher student teacher ratio that is not EI approved will get him more attention?

Having been around the block a couple of times, I think you are vastly, vastly underestimating how important it is that your child is happy with his school placement. It's a heck of a gamble to pull a sn child out of a school they are happy with. If you pull him out and he HATES his new school and is having daily melt downs and is freaking out constantly, can you get him back into the school he's in right now?

You sound like you've already decided what you want to do and you are wanting feedback that its a good idea. I can't give you that. (I wish I could). So my advice is to make your back up plan. If putting him in the closer school blows up in your face, then what?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You sound like you've already decided what you want to do and you are wanting feedback that its a good idea. I can't give you that. (I wish I could). So my advice is to make your back up plan. If putting him in the closer school blows up in your face, then what?

No I haven't made up my mind as yet.  I am being very careful about what we will do.  Believe me  I am giving a lot of consideration to his happiness.  If I were not I would have already moved him.  Presently I am looking at schools but I am also trying to adjust our schedule and look for ways to see if we can get there earlier.  Plus as I mentioned I will be talking to the school about the areas I am concerned about.

One of the areas my son needs help with is with social interaction.  I think he is interested in playing with other kids but sometimes dont know how to initiate play with new kids.  I know this because when he is invited to play with other kids he gladly takes it.   When I go to pick him up after school he is often playing by himself.  I have dropped in to observe him in his classroom and he is often isolated.  I have spoken to other parents who have expressed similar concerns.  Added to this some interventions that should be applied in the classroom is not happening consistently.  So yes he is happy but I am not so sure anymore that this is the best place for him. If I can find a way to feel confident about the level of service I am receiving then even though its difficult we will continue at this school.

I will not place him in a school that has too high of a student to teacher ration.  I have reserved a spot for him in a school that has about the same student: teacher ratio and the teacher has a  special education background and while they are not an EI approved school they have students who receive EI services.  I appreciate all the comments.  I know this is a delicate situation and I want to make sure I examine all sides before making a decision.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add.  I dont know if I would be able to get him enrolled in his old school if we do decide to move him.  But thus far they still have a lot of slots open for next year but its still early and those slots can get taken quickly.

Tags
Special Needs Parenting
User Tag List