Wondering if I'm just looking for issues? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-04-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I've got three boys.  My oldest is on the Autism Spectrum.  At this point most of his issues are social and organization.  My second son is gifted with a learning disability. 

My third son is in second grade.  His issues just don't seem as obvious as his brother's.  But I keep waiting for him to get more organized or just tuned in, but he's all over the place.  He constantly jumping and moving and touching everything. 

Yesterday at the store, he managed to nock down 4 things on the shelves.   I don't mean purposely knocking them down, but he just didn't seem like he could not put his hands on things, even after being told numerous times not to pick everything up.  He was jumping and running down the aisles non-stop.  He jumps on his older brothers until they are losing their minds.   He also is so all over the place that he'll literally walk around with one shoe on and one shoe off until I remind him to put his other shoe on. 

When we go places with crowds I have to hold on to the back of his shirt because he gets so distracted he will wonder away from the family to look at things that catch his eye, even when I tell him that we will get there in a few minutes. 

Getting him ready for school in the morning is like herding a cat through the legs of stampeding buffalo!  We have the same schedule EVERY MORNING, and if I don't remind him, he simply forgets to do it.  I even went so far as making him a list of what he needed to do, and he lost the list once.  So I taped it to the wall, and he forgot where I taped it!  banghead.gif

I don't know exactly how he does at school, because although I love his teacher, she's so disorganized it's frightening.   She's so creative and fun, and she really captures the kids imaginations.  But her classroom is a mess.  There are papers and books piled all over the place.  I've been in a couple of times and I've wanted to pull my hair out, and I am not even close to a neat freak!  So, in someways she's a good match for him, but in others, it's actually not good, because he needs structure. 

I suspect he's gifted too, though he's never been tested.  He remembers things things about history, nature, science, and math that he's heard once. He's an awesome reader too.

So, if you've gotten this far, here's my questions.  Do I wait and see what next years teacher says or do I go ahead and ask to have him evaluated now?  I know that they'd probably go ahead and do the evaluation, since both my older boys have executive functioning issues, but maybe he's better in a more structured environment?  I don't want to create problems where there aren't really any.

#2 of 3 Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post
So, if you've gotten this far, here's my questions.  Do I wait and see what next years teacher says or do I go ahead and ask to have him evaluated now?  I know that they'd probably go ahead and do the evaluation, since both my older boys have executive functioning issues, but maybe he's better in a more structured environment?  I don't want to create problems where there aren't really any.

Do it now! for a few reasons...

• school evaluations take time
  • there can be a wait for private evaluations
  • it's better to discover a problem early than wait until it's walking around like Dick Van Dyke's one man band in Mary Poppins
  • the results, or even beginning the process could positively influence his teacher placement for next year.

You could do a private evaluation first, then approach the school after you have those results.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 3 Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post

Do it now! for a few reasons...

• school evaluations take time
  • there can be a wait for private evaluations
  • it's better to discover a problem early than wait until it's walking around like Dick Van Dyke's one man band in Mary Poppins
  • the results, or even beginning the process could positively influence his teacher placement for next year.

You could do a private evaluation first, then approach the school after you have those results.

Bwahahahaaaa!  I just spit coffee all over the place from that.  You are totally right though.  We missed some of the signs that my middle son was having issues, because he was able to compensate up until the middle of second grade.  Then things got ugly and he ended up not wanting to even go to school.  I don't want to see that happen to ds3. 

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page