Static encephalopathy with autism like features?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We went through extensive testing with my son who is 3 years old last fall.  He ended up with an 'Autistic Disorder' diagnosis and the SLP also recommended further evaluation for apraxia of speech (which I have suspected all along).  We actually got our diagnosis through a pediatric neuropsychologist, but we did see a developmental pediatrician before who also agreed that it was likely autism.

As I was looking back through the developmental pediatrician's assessment, the first words were 'STATIC ENCEPHALOPATHY'.  At the time I guess I overlooked that and cut straight to the 'autism like features' on the end of that sentence.  I just looked up Static Encephalopathy yesterday and it means permanent, unchanging brain damage!!!  What on earth???  Has anyone else had this and what does it really mean?

Thank you.

#2 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 08:44 AM

My understanding is that it is not unusual for this diagnosis to be given while the child is very young and an autism diagnosis is being investigated.  It is sometimes used as a provisional diagnosis so that insurance will cover services and further testing.

I understand that is hard to see words like that in your child's records.  Take them with a grain of salt.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#3 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

So I guess now that we do have a formal diagnosis of Autism this no longer is a factor.  She certainly didn't mention anything to us except her belief it was likely a form of high functioning autism.  Thank you for your response.  It certainly puts me at ease.

#4 of 7 Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 PM

please check out the success dr. bradstreet is having with GcMAF and autism. looks like the next big treatment possibility for a variety of diseases.

#5 of 7 Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 PM

Oh, they diagnosed that for my oldest and the doctor told me that it's for insurance purposes because insurance typically does not like to deal w/ autism stuff. So calling it brain damage is actually helpful.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#6 of 7 Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 AM

Hi, My names Heather and I stumbled across this site from google and saw your post. Your post sounds a lot like my son, we just recieved the Static Encephalopathy diagnosis yesterday after waiting for months for the results. It left me with some questions answered and some still wondering and a little scared also. My son is 10 and was diagnosed last year with Autism (Aspergers) ADHD, ODD, OCD among others. So, now i'm researching this and am trying my best to understand things to possible be able to help him more..

#7 of 7 Old 06-05-2012, 11:30 AM

I think it falls into the "we have no idea so we'll throw this out there to help you get services cause it looks good on paper diagnosis" diagnosis.  My son had this because they felt the reason for his developmental delays were due to seizures he had as a baby.  Turns out, he has a genetic deletion which is the root of things.  Don't let the words scare you.   Just use them as a tool to get your son the help that he needs.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page