Genetic Seizure Disorders - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone know know much about genetic seizure disorders? My 6 week old started having tonic clonic seizures at 1 week old. She's on phenobarbital twice a day and has already needed an increase. I'm hoping she outgrows them as she gets bigger. The neurologists think it is a genetic thing because there is a strong family history of seizures on her dad's side of the family.

Melissa Wife To James & Mama to Christopher Michael- 6/03 ,Ella Cheyenne- 10/09 & Xander Ryan James- 9/10 :
#2 of 3 Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 PM

Hello, sorry your little one is having a tough start.  

My ds has epilepsy; mostly partial simple and partial complex seizures, but has also had tonic clonic infrequently. We did not realize he was having seizures until he was 9, but neuro thinks he had them quite young based on descriptions of "episodes".  We can trace back 4 generations on dh's side that did have seizures and it is unlikely that it was caused by injury.   Our neuro thinks epilepsy.com is best resource regarding info for seizures, treatment, etc.  They have a professional version of the site, but I mostly utilize the main site unless I am researching drugs that ds might take.  I also use their app for tracking meds and seizures on my phone.  

Children can out grow epilepsy- 50-85% (I have seen a range in numbers because depends on the type)... first ped we saw told us when ds was dx that his epilepsy was benign and he would outgrow it, but neuro does not agree necessarily.  

#3 of 3 Old 04-13-2012, 04:49 AM

My son had seizures as an infant due to a genetic deletion (16p11.2) but his seizures were, at that time, considered to be idiopathic vs. epilespy.  He was on pheno for 8 months and outgrew the dosage.  Thank Gd, he's been seizure free since.

{{{hugs}}}

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page