I am Confused! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son, Wolfie turned 3 in February. He is a loving, gentle little soul.. he's funny, imaginative, creative.. loves to paint and colour, and loves to interact with other children and animals. He knows his ABC's, his colours and can count to 5.. he also knows all of his Thomas the Engine characters and what "tenders" go with what engines, even when they're the same colour.

Ok.. so here is my concern...

5-6 times a day he holds his hands over his ears. Most times he's not upset by anything.. meaning, he's not crying or acting as if he's in pain.. he just holds his hands over his ears. So that's the daytime.. nighttime can be a bit different. Once or twice a week, he will wake me up, sometimes crying and upset about something, sometimes not though.. with his hands over his ears. I've since learned to just let him crawl in my bed. During these nighttime episodes, he doens't really want any sort of physical contact. He doesn't freak out or anything, just kind of brushes me off. During the day, he doesn't seem to care, and will continue to do whatever it was he was doing.. minus using his hands for a bit.

He will also hum. He hums at other times too.. when he's colouring for example, like he's just concentrating.

He makes eye contact, he shows affection, he seeks out other kids, adults.. he's not shy at all, and is actually quite friendly with other adults.. he can be aloof with them at times, when he's tired, bored, etc.. but usually he's pretty cheerful and chatty.

He's not talking very well yet... He can say a few words (Bye, Milk, Juice..etc..), but mostly just one word. He will say, "Bye bye see you soon!" But that's the most he says at one time. He can make himself understood though by taking my hand and leading me to the object he wants.. or just repeating until "I" understand what he's saying.

There are a few other things that concern me.. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of "listening.." har, har har.. what kid does, I know, I know.. but it's different than just him not "wanting" to listen. I can say to him, "Wolfie go get a book and we'll have a story.." and he just keeps doing whatever it is he's doing. He has about a 2 minute attention span, even for things he enjoys doing.

Ugh... sorry for that ramble, I hope I made sense, lol...

I have an appointment with a Pediatrician in 6 months time.. (ridiculously long wait times in Canada!), but I would like to hear what y'all have to say.. At first I thought Autism.. but then, some of his behaviours completely contradict it.. could he have sensitivities? Or is he just a more independent kid? I appreciate any dialogue.. I am so confused!

Thank you!

April

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

What province are you in? 

Some provinces require more than a pediatrician alone to make a diagnosis, so to wait 6 months to go on another waitlist would be very troubling.

I don't think anyone online can give you an answer, and pursuing an evaluation would be worthwhile.

Have you read about Sensory Processing Disorder?

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 PM

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/services.asp?pid=saf&rid=1055169

Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I have read about Sensory Processing Disorder.. and I'm thinking that it would definitely be something to look into further. His appointment is with a Pediatrician who specializes in autism. I'm just at the beginning of this process and really have no idea where to start, apart from waiting for his first appointment.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:03 PM

Why not phone these folks and ask for further information.  There may be more than one route to answers, and they may all be 6 months or longer, or maybe not:

This service provides: 

* assessment and diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders
* multidisciplinary team approach; 
* liaison/consultation with schools/preschools/daycares, as needed; 
* may include recommendations, counselling and referral to community services.

Available to

Children under 6 years of age who meet mandate criteria (i.e., query of ASD).

Service providers

Clinic Manager Medical Director/Physician Multidisciplinary Team

Service locations

Please visit the links below for more details about this service at various locations.

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/services.asp?pid=service&rid=1010223

Old 04-16-2012, 11:39 AM

Has he had his hearing checked?  And have you read about CAPD at all? 

User Tag List