Medicar/Paratransit service? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4yo DD has occupational therapy once/wk.  It is on the other side of the city.  The OT is fabulous.  Her only appointment slot is at 8am, and we waited for a long time to get this slot. 

It takes us 2 hours to get there, meaning we all wake up at 5am, get on the bus, train, and another bus during rush hour.  My husband cannot take off of work this day.  My 4yo has severe social anxiety which makes public transit extremely difficult for the both of us, and stressful for her.  I have to drag my 2yo along as well, and it's a lot of work.  I spend 4 hours of total travel to get to a 1 hour appointment.  My MIL is an unreliable source of transportation- we were half an hour late the last appointment and she blew me off today.  The appointment before last we had to cancel last minute because we all caught a stomach bug.  I don't feel I'm in very good standings with this OT.. I need to be getting to these appointments.  DD's stress during transit results in a less than productive OT session, and she's stressed out for the rest of the day.  

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a Paratransit/Medicar service.  I don't even know if this is available to children with minor things going on.  Her only diagnosis is sensory processing disorder, because we are on waiting lists for everyone else.  Bipolar and Aspergers or some sort of ASD is suspected, but she needs another full eval for that and again, we're on a waiting list.

If that were to work out, I'm concerned with dragging two car seats along.  My DD1 is booster trained so I'd for sure do that, but would they allow me to install a car seat for my other DD, even if she isn't the patient?

Anyone gone through this?  Or anyone able to offer up some tips?

Also, we have medicaid.  Would I talk to the OT about this?  The family doctor who referred us?  The paratransit service itself?

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#2 of 5 Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM

WindyCityMom...I am in Chicago as well...do you go to OT at a hospital.....the hospital near me I know has a pickup service for those that are unable to drive ......otherwise I think that you could ask the OT for info and see if there is anything like that available ?

#3 of 5 Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

It is part of a hospital but in its own standalone building.  The hospital is part of is right near it.  I'm going to call their office as well as the one of our family doctor tomorrow and see if they offer anything (same hospital group).  Their website doesn't give any clues as to whether or not it is offered, though.

Right now I'm in the process of getting my learner's permit to drive.. I'm still studying the rules of the road book.  My DH will not take me driving until I have the permit, but I'm hoping me taking our vehicle once/wk will be a possibility in the near future.

#4 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 02:22 PM

I would definitely look into the hospital itself. Doing a quick google search I found this page: http://www.hfs.illinois.gov/transportation/122303_nonemergency.html  - It seems non-emergency medical transportation through IL medicaid is provided by First Transport, Inc. 

autismribbon.gif

#5 of 5 Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  Unfortunately I don't live in any of those counties.. going to discuss it on Thursday when we see the OT again.  Things have been crazy busy...

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page