Hypotonia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me about "mild diffuse hypotonia"...

Specifically any causes. With my son I don't think it was present from birth as his motor skills were ahead through about a year old. He's never had any serious illness or injury.

Also would mild hypotonia be enough to cause oral motor issues? Specifically my son takes a LONG time to eat, he also at 6.5 drools and drool pools in his mouth, which he slurps up.

Thanks!

DS (6) is diagnosed with Asperger's, Hypotonia, and Static Encephalopothy 

#2 of 3 Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM

Speaking from experience, my daughter (age 4) has had hypotonia with seizure disorder since she was born.  The hypotonia has created oral motor issues for her where she drools and still has to wear a bib so her clothes don't get soaked, it takes a long time for her to eat, she can only drink from a specific sippy cup, she cannot drink from a straw and she chokes often.  We have been getting her OT but she really needs speech (oral motor therapy) to address the tone issues in her mouth and throat. I have been told in my daughters case that the seizures and her neurological condition are the cause of her muscle tone issues, but I don't think the doctors really know for sure.  Have you tried speech therapy?  That may help with feeding issues.  Hope that helps a little.

#3 of 3 Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM

I am a Speech-Language pathologist and a mother. Hypotonia affects both feeding and speech. The drooling of saliva you are referencing indicates a lack of control in the oral cavity. The length of time to eat a meal also indicates the potential for decreased muscle control. My recommendation to you would be to seek out a referral for a speech-language pathologist in your area. Preferably one who specializes in pediatric dysphagia. Dysphagia simply refers to a swallowing disorder. Some clinician's will focus on either swallowing OR speech; some do both. As a clinician who does both I would insist on an evaluation of both swallowing a dysphagia. Early intervention is the key to success. Good luck!

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page