Do you have a local support group for your SN family? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wrote a blog post about a local Autism group MoCAA - Moms Connect About Autism and I wondered if you guys had something similar for your kids?

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#2 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No, but I wish I did. DS isn't formally diagnosed yet, but it's so confusing to navigate the waters of getting an SN diagnosis. Especially when you don't know how to spot what is normal and what isn't (I'm pretty sure I'm an aspie - and alot of his traits are alot like me).

I've been looking for a group in my area, but haven't found anything yet.

So glad you found a nice group. And love your new pic! So cute.

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#3 of 7 Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks! That's me & DS2, my sensory boy. :)

I found that finding local groups was a huge chore. And MoCAA has only been around about 2 years. So I had nothing for DS1's early years. It's incredibly frustrating.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#4 of 7 Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No. I live in a very rural area. I have a friend that has a couple SN children as well, we get together every 1-2 months and just vent.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 7 Old 04-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Not that I know of...but haven't made a big effort to find one as we just recently received a diagnosis and will be moving soon...Eventually I would like to find one/start one.  :)

HarperRose likes this.
#6 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 PM

No, my son's diagnosis is rare.  We don't fit in with the Autism crowd.  We don't fit in with the Down Syndrome crowd.  All the local special needs activities are aimed at the later two groups.  I have gone to the special needs PTA and have been frustrated because it all centers around the IEP and Autism.   If I wanted just IEP info I could go to any number of seminars without joining their PTA group.  Nothing they discuss is relevant to parenting a child with multiple disabilities and needs LPN level care at all times.  If it wasn't so difficult to get away I might have offered to break out a new sub-group in the PTA for parents of those with medical conditions and/or learning disabilities but paying a nurse to take care of my son while away is unaffordable and not covered by insurance.  Many other parents in my situation are in similar circumstances so I imagine that is why no one has bothered to form a group for us because no one can get away long enough from their child to do so.   Online is my only outlet.

#7 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekat View Post

No, my son's diagnosis is rare.  We don't fit in with the Autism crowd.  We don't fit in with the Down Syndrome crowd.  All the local special needs activities are aimed at the later two groups.  I have gone to the special needs PTA and have been frustrated because it all centers around the IEP and Autism.   If I wanted just IEP info I could go to any number of seminars without joining their PTA group.  Nothing they discuss is relevant to parenting a child with multiple disabilities and needs LPN level care at all times.  If it wasn't so difficult to get away I might have offered to break out a new sub-group in the PTA for parents of those with medical conditions and/or learning disabilities but paying a nurse to take care of my son while away is unaffordable and not covered by insurance.  Many other parents in my situation are in similar circumstances so I imagine that is why no one has bothered to form a group for us because no one can get away long enough from their child to do so.   Online is my only outlet.

I found a neighbor, whose daughter is in the same class as mine, with a similar issue. Her son has Wolf Hirschhorn Syndrome. She came by the other day w/ her son and I'm glad she came by. To my knowledge, there's no support groups in our area for WHS. But there are PLENTY for ASCs.

We may have different issues, but everyone needs support, knowing that we're all on a similar journey - advocating and accepting our kids.

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page