I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge/advice about Lyme disease treatment in a 2.5 yr old with sensory issues and hypotonia. Specifically, DS has struggled since infancy and he's been followed by neurologists/dev peds and EI therapies including OT, PT, Speech, Edu, etc. He was bitten at the top of the scalp by a deer tick and although it was only attached for a few hours max and we got it out, he developed Lyme about 11 days after. (BTW, he did develop a red/pink rash on his scalp which is usual, but he also developed many bumps around the bite and his scalp which enlarged to about 1/2 inch each and broke open oozing puss - anyone ever seen this in Lyme or a reaction to tick bite?)
Anyway, I was very upset given his delays and the location of the bite and of course decided to treat with 21 days of Amoxicillin. He has had no problems with it other than discolored teeth. My question is - is the regular course of 21 days long enough? I want to be sure he is fully treated - I'm nervous about neurological symptoms persisting that we won't recognize because they are basically the issues he's always had. Should I give it to him for longer?
He has also began speaking in much longer phrases and seems generally more with it and better motor planning since taking the Abx (everyone has noticed and cannot get over the improvements, even his OT) - I'm wondering if the pustules on his head were a reaction showing that he had previously been bitten by a tick and that maybe his issure have been Lyme all along - but he would have had to have been bitten at around 2-3 months old (summer birthday). Geeze, this is complicated and I just want to be sure he's being treated correctly. Dr.s were quick to dismiss me when we had only an 18 day supply of Abx, but I insisted he have at least a full 21 days.
That kind of reaction (improved speech and such) is sometimes seen in PANDAS. (http://pandasnetwork.org/) It may be worth looking into? As far as the treatment, you are better off asking that question to your pediatrician.