crunchy foods for Sensory Needs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my 3 year old needs crunchy food to satisfy his sensory needs. he recently is GF DF CF EF CF SF. Gluten, Dairy, Casein, Egg, Corn, Soy FREE and I am having a hard time replacing the nice, crunchy cereals he used to eat and satisfied him. It is taking him 1+ hours to fall asleep while chewing on a teething toy and he is biting me since the diet change.

I offer:

rice crisp cereal

rice crisp squares w/ almond butter

bliss balls (raw nuts, seeds and dried fruit)

trail mix w/ raw nuts and seeds

granola bars (I have to try another recipe, he used to eat Kashi crunchy bars but mine are not as hard)

sweet potato chips (purchased)

fresh fruit pops w/ or without coconut milk yogurt

rice crackers (purchased)

pancakes topped with nuts and seeds

muffins w/ nuts and seeds

apples

sweet potato fries

any thoughts on a healthier, cookie recipe? or any other crunchy, safe foods

#2 of 3 Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 PM

For snacks try raw carrots, raw purple cabbage, pickles, sunflower seeds, rice cakes and you could bake your own flat bread with GF flour and sesame seeds.

For cookies try a GF flour mix, ground up flax seeds for binding and crunch, coconut oil, aluminum free baking powder, fruit puree like pear or mango (I buy organic baby food for baking) and honey or maple syrup for sweetness and water or almond/hemp/sunflower seed or coconut milk. You will also need xanthan gum since their is no gluten to 'glue' it all together. The more runny you make the batter the more crisp your cookies will turn out.

#3 of 3 Old 04-21-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

i have been substituting xanthan gum with flax meal, I thought I read it could be soy based? thanks for the cookie tip, we definitely need more crunchy.

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page