I think DS needs an eval. for sensory issues... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-22-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He's turning 7 in June and has always been a "sensitive" kid, but the older he gets, the more evident it is that it's a problem.

I have his WCV scheduled for June, but don't want to embarrass him by talking about these issues in front of his doctor, or make him feel bad about himself.

For those of you that have had evaluations done on older children, how did you go about it?  DS was 8 weeks premature and had significant gross motor delays, so we went through that eval. process when he was about 10 months old, but obviously this will be different.  I'm not sure where to start or even if his issues are serious enough for OT, but I also know that I don't need to diagnose him. I just know that something needs to change, because every day is a series of fights with him, and I can't do it anymore.  

TIA.  :)

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#2 of 3 Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM

I scheduled a drs appointment for dd, but didn't bring her.  It allowed me to be frank with the doctor without her feeling stigmatized, and the dr. said they love it when parents do that - makes things easier on them.  But, largely, we have been very transparent with dd.  The only times I haven't been completely upfront with her was when I was still figuring out stuff myself, because I didn't want to inundate her with information and worry.  As soon as we had a direction, she was on board.  Her issues are mostly dyslexia, CAPD and anxiety.  We told her mostly that we had noticed that she seemed to be worrying a lot, and that she seemed to be working too hard at school, and that we knew people who could help her so that things would be easier for her.  We told her that not every kid gets the 'brain tests' (her words lol) that she's had done, but that is just because not everyone feels they need to know details about how they learn and think.  Sometimes when things aren't as easy, it is because people all think differently and they do better in different environments.  So, the tests let us know what environment you will do best in, and gives us some ideas to teach you in a way that will be easier to learn.  She seems to have both understood and felt good about this explanation.

#3 of 3 Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Muise View Post

I scheduled a drs appointment for dd, but didn't bring her.  It allowed me to be frank with the doctor without her feeling stigmatized, and the dr. said they love it when parents do that - makes things easier on them.  But, largely, we have been very transparent with dd.  The only times I haven't been completely upfront with her was when I was still figuring out stuff myself, because I didn't want to inundate her with information and worry.  As soon as we had a direction, she was on board.  Her issues are mostly dyslexia, CAPD and anxiety.  We told her mostly that we had noticed that she seemed to be worrying a lot, and that she seemed to be working too hard at school, and that we knew people who could help her so that things would be easier for her.  We told her that not every kid gets the 'brain tests' (her words lol) that she's had done, but that is just because not everyone feels they need to know details about how they learn and think.  Sometimes when things aren't as easy, it is because people all think differently and they do better in different environments.  So, the tests let us know what environment you will do best in, and gives us some ideas to teach you in a way that will be easier to learn.  She seems to have both understood and felt good about this explanation.

That's a great idea, thank you so much for sharing your experience!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page