Sucking/Gum Chewing to handle stress - in school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD 91/2 is not fully diagnosed probably but does have anxiety disorder/OCD. Not sure if/what else. She asks repeatedly for something to suck on (for well over a year she has been obsessed with cough drops and I am only just now finding out why) saying it helps her calm down or focus. She has even looked for an old pacifier (but couldn't find one)! She doesn't fully understand and neither do I, but it's a real victory for her to be able to start being self aware and talk to us about it.

Will the teacher listen to me if I ask permission for her to suck/chew gum in class? She hides her issues well at school so they don't really know much except that I've mentioned her anxiety. She currently hides her cough drops but that's not exactly helpful. I doubt they would let her have gum, but what would be a good choice for something to suck on that's not candy or crap going into her body?

Any thoughts would be helpful, I think I have heard other people talk about sucking/gum chewing but I'm not sure what context, and I am just starting to figure this out. Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 PM

First, it's not uncommon in our district for kids to use chewing gum during times of intense focus/stress, which includes standardized testing.  It's encouraged.

Second, kids need oral stimulation for a variety of reasons, sensory, anxiety, focus, organization.  I think it's great that your child knows enough about her own needs to ask for something oral.  My child used gum, and it worked really well.  We supplied a pack of our choosing, and my ds would ask for a piece, or get a piece for himself, as he felt he needed it.  He completely self regulated.   It was a non issue with the school/teachers.  Very supportive.

I would simply have a conversation with the teacher, and hopefully make the case for your dd's needs.  If you need more support, the school OT could probably be an ally.

#3 of 5 Old 04-27-2012, 08:31 PM

I haven't actually used them, but I have pondered "chewelry".  It seems like a great idea, and wouldn't be an issue with the teacher (or other kids, I think).

http://kidcompanions.com/ is a site that sells some, but there are others.

Tjej

#4 of 5 Old 04-29-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both. I actually spoke to the guidance counselor and she got permission from the teacher for DD to suck candies or chew gum in class (sucking preferred, to avoid excessive questioning). I was impressed! I also did not realize that this was apparently common. I wish I understood why, but am glad for now that she can do something that will help a little!

Tjej likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 AM

I am not sure if she has an IEP or a 504 plan, but you should get it added as an accommodation for her to function in school so anyone who works with her whether she is in music, PE, art or participating in a school function is made aware of these accommodations.  It is just something nice to have for when she has a different teacher or transfers to a different school in the future.

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page