Is it possible for an Aspergers child to be overly social? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post

Right, but I was responding to comments alluding to "my school says they won't DX with ASD because my child can xyz..."

A school can say all they want in terms of their own evaluation, but a private eval that is more nuanced and is done by someone who better understands ASDs will go much further in the school system.  It's much easier for a school to say "oh yea, we don't think it's ASD..." vs. seeing something in black and white in front of them. 

(I'm a teacher in an ASD inclusion program and evaluator for our program, so I might see it from a different angle.) 

Ah! I see. Yeah, the school's dx, in my opinion, is a joke and pointless. I don't know why they waste time and resources when the dr already made the diagnosis. You know? You know the kid has X-condition. Now work with it.

And even though our schools had/have my son's white papers in front of them w/ his medical dx, they STILL want to run evals and make us do all kinds of paperwork and everything else. To me, it's pointless. 

Though, given your perspective as an evaluator, I'd love to know why they do that, even though they have the medical dx.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#32 of 37 Old 04-27-2012, 05:33 PM

in the district I work in, in order to be eligible for the specific ASD inclusion program I work in there needs to be a certain number of tests given and criteria of those tests met.  So, for some kids applying they already have all those tests and we don't need to re-do them.  If they don't have those particular tests (but have others that say they have an ASD) we still have to do them.  

But our program is an aberration, if a child is enrolled in their local school there is not always one test they NEED to have to qualify for anything specific.  

I also think that there are tests certain school psychologists are comfortable administering and understanding, and a big neuropysch could have a bunch of tests s/he doesn't know.  

#33 of 37 Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM

I hope this may help someone here. We recently received a dx for our daughter. She has Aspergers. It's so hard to type that! I'm still dealing with grief and a reframing of my own view on my family, my child and the world in general. It's a lot to learn. Our path was thus. Her teacher kept harping on our child's attention span and her lack of focus and interest in certain classroom activities. Knowing (from birth) that she was a little different, I was not too worried. She has always wanted to do things her own way. I have 5 kids, so I could easily tell the differences between her and her siblings. So, anyway, I thought she might have celiac's like me, so put her on a GF diet. Her behavior improved a little, for a short period, but it wasn't the issue. So we took her to our Gp, who referred her to our community mental health system, after I relayed the symptoms to our GP. They thought immediately of aspergers. I didnt, but they apparently could see more clearly than me.  So, we had two seperate screenings, with lots of tests, took about 2 hours each time, and then received the Dx. So now, she has more screenings and therapy. I know nothing about how it all works, but I'm very glad to have gotten the dx so we can move forward and get help.  Persevere and get the help and info you need!  - Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#34 of 37 Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you. Would you mind if I asked what kind of tests and screenings they did? We went through the school district and I dont feel DS was tested enough in certain areas.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
#35 of 37 Old 05-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post

in the district I work in, in order to be eligible for the specific ASD inclusion program I work in there needs to be a certain number of tests given and criteria of those tests met.  So, for some kids applying they already have all those tests and we don't need to re-do them.  If they don't have those particular tests (but have others that say they have an ASD) we still have to do them.  

But our program is an aberration, if a child is enrolled in their local school there is not always one test they NEED to have to qualify for anything specific.  

I also think that there are tests certain school psychologists are comfortable administering and understanding, and a big neuropysch could have a bunch of tests s/he doesn't know.  

Thanks for the info on this. Kind of nice to know an inside view. :D

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#36 of 37 Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing1Thing2 View Post

And that is another confusing thing. Your DS was diagnosed with many other issues *before* the diagnosis came for ASD. So I'm wondering why is it that it takes so long to get a diagnosis for ASD? If doctors know that there is comorbidity, then why do they stop at ADHD or ODD or any of the other disorders? Frustrating as it is, my main concern is not getting him the help he needs soon enough. The sooner they get help, the more likely it is for them to do better in school and life. So why aren't health professionals saying "Let's DX ASD earlier, so children have a better chance at succeeding."?

My son first had the ADHD diagnosis from the psychiatrist; the hospital later confirmed it plus added on a couple more issues but, he wasn't diagnosed with ASD at that point. Why? Due to his age and his co-morbid issues; ds was so close to the borderline and ASD shares symptoms with other disorders so it was difficult to be definitive. The younger a child is, the greater the chance that the diagnosis will change later on; there is just such a wide range of development until around 7yo. Child psychiatrists and general peds are usually not aware of "finer" aspects of child development. Psychiatrists seem to find all symptoms within their speciality, and peds tend to take a "wait and see" approach; though I wish providers for children were more aware and less dismissive of parents concerns.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#37 of 37 Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydoula View Post

I hope this may help someone here. We recently received a dx for our daughter. She has Aspergers. It's so hard to type that! I'm still dealing with grief and a reframing of my own view on my family, my child and the world in general. It's a lot to learn. Our path was thus. Her teacher kept harping on our child's attention span and her lack of focus and interest in certain classroom activities. Knowing (from birth) that she was a little different, I was not too worried. She has always wanted to do things her own way. I have 5 kids, so I could easily tell the differences between her and her siblings. So, anyway, I thought she might have celiac's like me, so put her on a GF diet. Her behavior improved a little, for a short period, but it wasn't the issue. So we took her to our Gp, who referred her to our community mental health system, after I relayed the symptoms to our GP. They thought immediately of aspergers. I didnt, but they apparently could see more clearly than me.  So, we had two seperate screenings, with lots of tests, took about 2 hours each time, and then received the Dx. So now, she has more screenings and therapy. I know nothing about how it all works, but I'm very glad to have gotten the dx so we can move forward and get help.  Persevere and get the help and info you need!  - Jen

Jen -- I really remember that sense of grief and uncertainty about what the future would hold for me, my son, and my family. I am nearly four years out from his diagnosis and I just wanted to reassure that that it gets better! I have come to understand so much more about ASD and can see what gifts it brings my son in addition to the challenges. He is doing really beautifully and I feel optimistic about his future. I hope this is your road, too.

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page