6-yo DD suspected with ADD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I took DD to psychologist for a test a few months back upon her teacher's insistence.  The result was inconclusive, but her teacher thinks DD is likely to be ADD.  Her mind would often be drifting away in class, and even when the teacher called on her, wouldn't seem to hear. 

We just started sensory integration therapy with her, and I wanted to start on supplements and diet before considering medication.  I searched on the internet, but apparently there are so many different types of supplements and diet suggested that it is not possible to try out all at the same time. Can anybody share their experience?

#2 of 8 Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Hi there!  I'm going to go ahead and more this to the special needs parenting forum.  There are a lot of parents there that are working with their kids via supplements and diet in regards to ADD and ADHD.  Also, sometimes learning disabilities with present with ADD and ADHD symptoms.  My middle son went through that and it turned out he was gifted with a learning disability, and he would tune out because he was so frustrated that he couldn't get his ideas out on paper. 

#3 of 8 Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmostoney View Post

I took DD to psychologist for a test a few months back upon her teacher's insistence.  The result was inconclusive, but her teacher thinks DD is likely to be ADD.  Her mind would often be drifting away in class, and even when the teacher called on her, wouldn't seem to hear. 

What test was it? I ask because there isn't a particular test for ADHD; there is a computer test that can measure distractability (click when you hear the noise/the box appears on the top of the screen) but cannot determine the cause or rule out other diagnoses (like more subtle learning disorders and/or giftedness, or CAPD).

You may get a better understanding of what may be going on, with a neuroeducational evaluation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nonverbal Learning Disabilities

CAPD - Central Auditory Processing Disorders and ADHD

Speech and Language Disorders and Diseases

Neuropsychological Evaluations

http://www.iser.com/psychoed-evaluations.html

Learning Disabilities Assessment and Psychoeducational ..

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 8 Old 05-06-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

DD did  The Wechsler Pre-School and Primary Scale of Intelligence-Third UK Edition - (WPPSI-III-UK)  and Wechsler Individual Achievement Test – Third Edition (WIAT-III) - the first one being an IQ test and the second one on academics (listening, reading and comprehension, spelling, phonics, writing, etc.)  We are based in Hong Kong, so often UK standards are used. 

She tested out average for both, with a few strong points in perception and general knowledge and a few weaker points in writing, etc.  So I guess she is no gifted.  She did do the computer test for assessing distraction. The psychologist's opinion is that she hit the button all too often before the appropriate cue.

#5 of 8 Old 05-06-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

I do some supplementary Chinese reading with her at home because her school doesn't teach Chinese.  She is unable to retain what she learns - which is very frustrating for both her and me.  E.g. when we read one page with 50 words, she may be able to recognize word A in the first sentence.  When word A pops up again in the 3rd sentence, she might not know it already.  This happens all within one page!  She would forget words that she has learned over a year ago and which she reads regularly.  However, on a good day (which is rare), she could recall most.  Even after repeatedly writing the same word over and over again, she still couldn't recognize it.  Since she could sometimes read well, it seems to me that she has somewhat learned it. My impression is that her filing system within her brain is a mess, so she couldn't easily recall. 

#6 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 AM

Recall issues can be a sign of a non-verbal learning disorder such as CAPD (central auditory processing disorder) or even dyslexia.  

One thing that we are doing with my son for recall is categories.  Giving him a grouping of things and asking him what the category is.  We do this while driving as sort of a game.  The more they are able to categorize, the easier recall becomes.  Is she is more a visual or auditory learner?  For myself (I have dyxlexia) I'm an auditory learner. 

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#7 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 08:26 PM

I talked to dh about this because he also struggled to learn Chinese (Mandrin) as a child for his second language.  He is able to speak, but only recognizes a limited number of characters.  One thing he pointed out about learning a second language, which is often problematic, is that they focus on teaching not only new words to learn to speak, but also they try to make the learn read at the same time.  When you learn to speak your first language, you do not learn to read or write the words at the same time.  Chinese words are a character which is different from a language, like English that is based on phoneme sounds and using symbols that represent the sounds.  It is hard to memorize many different pictures each representing a different word.  Dh said the best advice he could think of was to get a good tutor that is well versed in both your dd's first language and Chinese.  He also said to focus on speaking and wait to introduce reading/writing until she is better at speaking.  

It would not hurt to talk to her psychologist about dyslexia and capd.  It is possible to have a processing issue in Chinese, but another language because I had read that characters are processed in a different part of the brain than the Roman alphabet.  

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2004/sep/23/research.highereducation2

#8 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Our therapist did bring up the possibility of auditory issues during our first session, and she recommends checking it out.  It is possible that DD cannot distinguish between background noise and what she is supposed to concentrate on.  So something would catch her ear during class and she would drift away.  Our therapist will talk to me today when we go to our second session.  The psychologist doesn't think DD is dyslexic though, but she is an auditory learner.

DD doesn't have a problem learning Chinese as a second language in terms of speaking.  We are a fully bilingual home.  Her spoken Chinese is fluent, and she is actually quite interested to learn new terms.  However, she does find learning English much easier and so has a preferrence.  Learning Chinese characters is difficult, and her attitude doesn't help. Since I have a younger one, when I compare dd and younger ds (19 months apart), I can immediately tell that ds has a much better filing system in place within.  DD was in Montessori for 3 years, but that didn't seem to help in organizing her filing system within.  DS, on the other hand, is thriving in Montessori.  He would forget characters that he learned sometimes, but he can generally recall characters which he hasn't used for a while or are quite difficult for his age to understand.

Lately, I read somewhere that for children with focus issues, they may need fish oil with dosage up to 500mg EPA/DHA combined.  So I started doubling her dosage since last week, and there seems to be some improvement.

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page