developmental pediatrician vs. pediatric neurologist - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It has been suggested to me to take my daughter to a pediatric neurologist for an evaluation.  but i have seen some references her to developmental pediatrician.  Are they the same or different?  and if different, when would I pick one or the other for an evaluation?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 AM

Developmental ped catches developmental delays. We saw one who specializes in ASDs.

Pediatric Neuro works with the brain. I've never been to one, even though my husband has a couple as his clients (he does IT).

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Our neurologist is really good at medical aspects the brain, but not psychological.  He generally refers us to the psychologist to work on issues outside medical, such as behavior (adhd and neuropsych exam).  He tries to keep track of ds in school, but really is not well versed in elementary academics and standards.  He was totally against ds getting an IEP because he did not understand the purpose.  He does care, but does not really know or treat the psychological aspects of any of his disorders.  

I think a developmental ped is more well rounded in both in understanding the medical and psychological development of children.  They might work with a team to meet different needs, like speech pathologist and OT, and oversee the therapy or treatments.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Yes, when my kids were evaluated, it was by a team. I always say "a dev ped" but, in reality, it was a team at the same office.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

User Tag List