Child just got "diagnosed" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6 year old, 9 month first grade just went through private testing and was diagnosed with the following:

Written Expression Disorder
Dysgraphia
Weak visual intergration
Weak visual motor cordination
Weak visual processing
Slow processing

She did well in reading, comprehension, and math skill....all above her age grade 6m-yr

She has always struggled to draw or write. She can't even really compy a good rectangle. OT is being recommended by the person who did the private eval. We are in a public school in Texas and will try to get this.

Any of your kids have Thease issues and what has helped

We have done many HW programs and tutoring but none of that seems to help much. She is very smart but has trouble showing it on paper. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-16-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
#3 of 7 Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 AM

What handwriting programs have you tried?  How often did you do the programs (x times a week/month for x months).  What did the evaluators recommend?

I'd imagine consistent OT for fine motor development would be beneficial - using Handwriting Without Tears is a wonderful way to help children in this regard.  The visual stuff may be helped with visual therapy which you may have to do on your own as a lot of schools won't do visual processing therapies internally.  I'd see about having her tested for auditory processing disorder to see if she does have processing issues.  Then accomodations can be made such as preferred seating (near the teacher, away from the door, heating/ac, windows, etc) and FM system to amplify the teacher's voice.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#4 of 7 Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply spotted. We have done HWT since she was 4 and her public school started using the program this year as well. I agree it's a great HW program. In kinder we had private tutoring through a place called The Handwriting Clinic. I do not know much about VT but will look it to it. Hoping the school will provide some OT. She already recieves speech for disfluency. I have of course over the years have done lots of OT stuff with her. It was interesting to learn about the visual intergration ect and to see how she did on those test. EduPsy said its all tied together. She loves school but kids are starting to make fun of the way she writes/draws and says it looks like babies :-(. This hurts her feelings so much!
#5 of 7 Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley'sMom View Post

She loves school but kids are starting to make fun of the way she writes/draws and says it looks like babies :-(. This hurts her feelings so much!

This needs to be addressed immediately with the school.  She should not be teased.  Poor kiddo.  I'm just now learning about the VT stuff.  We need to look into it for my son but unfortunately, insurance doesn't cover it and we just don't have the funds right now.  I'm hoping to get the school to do it in the fall ~fingers crossed~

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#6 of 7 Old 05-16-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley'sMom View Post

She loves school but kids are starting to make fun of the way she writes/draws and says it looks like babies :-(. This hurts her feelings so much!

Currently, I believe this is the hardest part of being a parent of a special needs child.  My DD is 7 and all her friends are entering the "tween" stage.  (I hate that label.  But really, it's true - who is the best friend in crowd, who likes which boy, whose Mommy does what.  It's weird and it happened pretty suddenly.)  So because my DD isn't into that - and not really up to the same level physically as her friends, the gulf between her and her friends is widening significantly.  It makes my heart hurt for her.  Our kids have so much to offer.  But in the race to grow up, their gifts are not in the same area of pop culture and therefore harder to understand or appreciate for kids their own age.

As yes, we are making new friends.  She's just struggling with why her "best" (meaning oldest) friends don't want to spend time with her. 

#7 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM

I would also have her vision checked.  They can make sure her eyes are tracking together ect....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page