Could this be a sensory thing (toilet issues) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2012, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

DS is 5 1/2, he does seem to have some sensory issues, especially with noise and chewing. We're still waiting on assesments. 

My current problem is he's still having regular pee accidents. Even when he's made it to the toilet we still find most days his undies are damp. He's been out of nappies in the day time since shortly after his second birthday, though he is still wearing pull ups at night. We've not had a dry night that I can remember and he often soaks through them.

One of the big problems we've had is that he doesn't tell us he needs to go, not a problem at home as he take himself but it has been a problem if we are out and now he's at school. At school he will sign or hold up a card to let the teachers know, sometimes when we are out he will sign to me but not always. He also does not tell us or his teachers if he's had an accident, though he knows he has spare clothes and it's never been made an issue.

I beginging to wonder if he just doesn't realise till it's too late, he'll even insist his pants are dry when I can see from across the room they are obviously not. Is it possible he really doesn't feel it?  UTI tests have been clear, he doesn't seem to be going with any unusual frequency, is there anything else we should rule out?

Also does anyone have an ideas for takling the problem? I don't think it's going to be long before kids are commenting and keeping up with the laundry is getting old.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

it could be sensory but it also could be medical. Have you discussed this with his pediatrician?

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know my SPD DD "dribbled" until she was 6.  She simply could not feel her bladder getting full.  It was kind of a struggle because there were tests, medicine, frustrated Daddy.  Eventually, when she got old enough to develop a habit.  We stayed home for a month and went potty every hour on the hour.  Whether she needed to our not.  Our intention was to create a habit of going potty.  But I also think it helped her be more in tune with her body signals.  (We had tried this method when she was 4, but she wasn't able to make any connection with her bladder until it was too late.)

The more I learn about SPD, the more it makes sense.  (In our case.)  If she isn't getting enough stimuli to tell where she is in time and space.  Could she get enough stimuli from the bladder when it was only partially full?  I definitely think they are related.

User Tag List