A touch of inspiration to keep going when times are tough - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: If your special childs needs were met-what would you ask for yourself?
go back to work 2 18.18%
go on a holiday 2 18.18%
personal development 2 18.18%
reskill 1 9.09%
find a new partner 0 0%
take up a hobby or restart one I abandoned 1 9.09%
spend more time on fun things 1 9.09%
do nothing just relax! 2 18.18%
try to turn back the clock and fix relationships 1 9.09%
other 0 0%
find a way to make some money now 1 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought I'd start this thread because having a special needs child I now see beauty out of despair, joy has a new meaning for me in the small achievements made my my son and larger achievements are now pure miracles! We all have some favourate quotes, affirmations or sources of inspiration that keep us going through the bleak times. Lets share them together to empower ourselves to take care of ourselves so we can provide the best care possible for our precious kids.

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength." - Christopher Reeves

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." (Mother Teresa)

Add your favourite sources of inspiration to the thread and ill put them all together in 1 place on the site when I have enough!

I find that by writing and getting things off my chest I get a renewed purpose and commitment to being the best mom I can be. I wrote this last night and it should be given to anyone who needs to some reassurance or who are feeling depressed about their special needs child.

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/what-can-children-with-special-needs-really-teach-us.

loving all the special kids here on the forum xx

Orla

#2 of 6 Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM

Those are great quotes.

One we use for ds (for when he starts feeling overwhelmed/anxious/"crazy"), is "Keep Calm, and Carry On"; he wears a dog tag with the phrase on it. The back story is that the phrase was used on WWII British propaganda posters intended to boost morale in the event of invasion.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 6 Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi that is so cool-I remember hearing a funny story somewhere. A dad was in the shopping centre with his child and the child was having a total meltdown. A woman was passing by and heard the dad say something like "calm down, stay cool, everything is fine, we are nearly finisned etc" She was so impressed she went up to him praising how he was handling his son. The poor dad turned to her and said I wasn't talking to him I was telling these things to myself!

The way I look at it, we all need to find a little something to say to stay as positive and focussed as we can when pushed to the limits!

#4 of 6 Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I voted "try to turn back the clock and fix relationships" because I feel my DH and I could use some work. It's so tough when we disagree on how to discipline and help our DS. And it's tough when we don't have time alone to talk about strategies to keep our family going strong. Many times we argue in front of DS and that is not helping at all.

I would also love to fix my relationship with DS. I am more than a little resentful about his behavior although I try not to show it. I just want life to be comfortable again for us. I don't want to fight for 2 hours every day to get him in bed. I don't want to walk on eggshells all day long waiting for a meltdown. I feel robbed of a peaceful home and relaxation. I guess I would also vote on relaxation.

I also heard a good quote somewhere "It will get better in the end. If its not better, its not the end".

Thank you for the quotes, they are inspiring.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
#5 of 6 Old 05-24-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

I agree with you. One day my husband walked in the door-I had been caring for the kids all day and no real drama happened, yet within 10 min of his arrival, my special needs son was crying, dad was shouting and everyone stressed. After that I asked him to even take 10 minutes in the car before he comes through the door, to  ground himself so he will switch off to any stressful day he had and enter his home where he was loved. He got upset when I told him this not angry upset but emotional upset, the realisation hit him hard. He now makes more of an effort to change into a dad and husband and I don't complain as much when he is late in case he really is sitting in the car outside!

#6 of 6 Old 06-10-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

today my son played sport with other kids. he blended in so well no one noticed he was different.I felt so proud of him. Other parents weren't even bothering to watch theri kids, they were chatting amoungst themselves but i watches him the whole time just marvelling at my beautiful child doing his very best-i am so glad to be able to  appreciate such things and take joy in things that other parents seem to miss out on!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page