SPD and Haircuts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS HATES haircuts!  It's not the noise - his hair has always been cut with scissors.  I think it's the light touch of his hair and neck and face, and then the little hairs falling all over him.  He will not tolerate the cape, so I bring a change of clothes. 

No amount of distraction or candy seems to help.  I end up holding his wrists in one hand so his fingers don't get cut off as he swats at the scissors, and holding his chin in the other hand so his ears don't get cut off. And then he fights because he can't stand to be restrained. The hairstylists are nice, but they always want to give him a break and start up again in a minute.  He starts screaming again as soon as they start.  He even does this when the stylist is an acquaintance and comes to our home.  He leaves with a raggedy haircut, tear streaked red face, and snotty nose.

Any ideas to make this better?  I let haircuts go as long as I can, but we have an appointment this weekend. 

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#2 of 3 Old 05-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I don't have this problems but my friend does and this is what she does. She prepares her son in advance by showing him a book about "going to the haridresser". She also made a video with the permission of another parent showing their son whom he knew getting his hair cut and took him through the entire process from when he went into the hairdressers to when he left. They found this a great help.

They also recommended searching youtube for clips of getting hair cut. Hope this helps-Orla

#3 of 3 Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does his OT have any suggestions?  My DS likely has SPD but has always done well with haircuts - though he flinches every time anyone touches his neck.  Washing his hair is a nightmare.

Here are some good suggestions:

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/getting-a-haircut-if-tactile-defensive.html

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page