article/book references - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-04-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 7 and has ADHD.  At this time, we are still choosing not to medicate.  This is a huge source of contention between myself and my parents.  I have read and watched about over-medicating and the dangers that may come with medicating, as well as how the interrelationship between the drug companies and the medical community, but the problem is that I don't have the references for some of this.  Anyone have some good articles on-hand from as reputable sources as possible that I could provide to my family to provide

them a more broad perspective?

I'm not anti-medication, but I am about a very conservative use of it.  My parents otoh are "a pill can fix anything" types.

TIA!

#2 of 3 Old 06-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

use google and just type in things like ADHD+medication side effects and other such search terms. yes i use medication as a last resort having had a very bad experience with my son being on a medication in the past-there are so many things that can help adhd-have you really looked at diet and natural supplements?

#3 of 3 Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

I think that trying to convince other people of things like this is a waste of time and energy -- they can easily find articles that say the opposite.

My advice is to tell them "I can see how you would feel that way. None the less, this is what I've decided to do."  When they keep talking about it, just keep saying the same thing over and over. Don't argue with them. Don't discuss it with them. You don't need their permission or blessing or approval to do what you feel is best for your child. 

It doesn't matter what they think.

Bokonon likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page